• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vet prescribed tablet rather than liquid

Burns360

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My girl rolo started making a crackling noise so as soon as I noticed it I took her to the vets. Vet said eyes are clear and nose but she has a URI possibly start of pneumonia. She has painkiller which is Liquid but the antibiotic that she prescribed is in tablet form. The vet told me to cut the tablet into quarters (which is tricky) and she is to have one quarter every 12 hours either with food or crushed and mixed into her food or straight in her mouth Well I’ve been giving it her in her veggies and she has been taking it.

I’ve never had tablet prescribed and the vet insisted that this is the best antibiotic for her condition and in tablet form. The vets closed till Monday so I’m just wondering if anyone else has had tablets for there pigs? I don’t want to under dose or over dose her and read online that they shouldn’t have tablets! Help!

My girl rolo started making a crackling noise so as soon as I noticed it I took her to the vets. Vet said eyes are clear and nose but she has a URI possibly start of pneumonia. She has painkiller which is Liquid but the antibiotic that she prescribed is in tablet form. The vet told me to cut the tablet into quarters (which is tricky) and she is to have one quarter every 12 hours either with food or crushed and mixed into her food or straight in her mouth Well I’ve been giving it her in her veggies and she has been taking it.

I’ve never had tablet prescribed and the vet insisted that this is the best antibiotic for her condition and in tablet form. The vets closed till Monday so I’m just wondering if anyone else has had tablets for there pigs? I don’t want to under dose or over dose her and read online that they shouldn’t have tablets! Help!

Hi!

Please crush the tablet into a powder and then mix the powder with 2 ml of water; shake well. Give 0.5 ml (half a small syringe) every 12 hours; shaking before use. A small medicine bottle is best; you can also get them and a needle-free 1 ml syringe from your pharmacy as well as from your vets. This is the best way of making sure your piggy is getting the correct dose and is getting all of it.

You can get a pill cutter from the pharmacy but many piggies won't necessarily eat the powder, not even with veg if it doesn't taste nice.

I’ve had tablets in the past and like Wiebke I crush and mix with water then administer orally.

Hi!

Please crush the tablet into a powder and then mix the powder with 2 ml of water; shake well. Give 0.5 ml (half a small syringe) every 12 hours; shaking before use. A small medicine bottle is best; you can also get them and a needle-free 1 ml syringe from your pharmacy as well as from your vets. This is the best way of making sure your piggy is getting the correct dose and is getting all of it.

You can get a pill cutter from the pharmacy but many piggies won't necessarily eat the powder, not even with veg if it doesn't taste nice.

Thanks for your reply the tablet is called Doxycycline 20mg - 5mg every 12 hours
do you know if this tablet is safe to crush and mix with the water? I’ve looked online and it seems it’s not very known in the uk, but my exotic vet prescribed it

Thanks for your reply the tablet is called Doxycycline 20mg - 5mg every 12 hours
do you know if this tablet is safe to crush and mix with the water? I’ve looked online and it seems it’s not very known in the uk, but my exotic vet prescribed it

Guinea pigs are fine to have Doxycyline in tablet form and yes, it’s safe to crush and syringe with water

Guinea pigs are fine to have Doxycyline in tablet form and yes, it’s safe to crush and syringe with water

Hi again, i crushed the tablet into a medicine pot with 2mls of water and shook it but when I drew it up in the syringe all the powder just dropped to the bottom, rolo was hesitant to take it so had to give the 1/4 tablet hidden in some food :(

Hi again, i crushed the tablet into a medicine pot with 2mls of water and shook it but when I drew it up in the syringe all the powder just dropped to the bottom, rolo was hesitant to take it so had to give the 1/4 tablet hidden in some food :(
This video shows how I give tablets. I mush up some nuggets and draw some up into a syringe, with the end cut off. I then break the tablet, if it is too large to fit into the end of the syringe and then syringe in the food, plus the tablet. The piggy then crunches the tablet up and every bit has gone in. Medicating your guinea pig - Instructional video on Facebook

Obviously syringing the powder is the best option but if he is taking it in food, it’s better than nothing. So long as he is getting the full dose

Rolo has been back to the vets and has been prescribed liquid baytril, no pro biotic, will she need one? Is there one I can purchase I’m in the uk x

When I had to give my piggy tablet antibiotics I put the whole tablet onto the top of the fibreplex syringe and he ate it happily and voluntarily thinking he was getting fibreplex which he loves...

fibreplex is a really good probiotic, available on amazon etc

I would give the probiotic as baytril can be harsh on the gut. It won’t do any harm for him to have it.

Rolo has been back to the vets and has been prescribed liquid baytril, no pro biotic, will she need one? Is there one I can purchase I’m in the uk x
Yes, please give him a probiotic an hour or two after the baytril. You can buy Pro C probiotic for small animals from pets at home or fibreplex online or your vet may sell it

Yes, please give him a probiotic an hour or two after the baytril. You can buy Pro C probiotic for small animals from pets at home or fibreplex online or your vet may sell it

thanks just been and bought the pro c, how far apart should I give the doses? I’m up for work at 6 and out the door by 7, so she will be having her morning baytril around 6.30 I’ll be back around 4. Is there harm in doing them together or should I wait till 4 ? Then give her evening baytril and then later some more pro c or will this do more harm than good? Sorry for all the questions I'm worried sick about her!

thanks just been and bought the pro c, how far apart should I give the doses? I’m up for work at 6 and out the door by 7, so she will be having her morning baytril around 6.30 I’ll be back around 4. Is there harm in doing them together or should I wait till 4 ? Then give her evening baytril and then later some more pro c or will this do more harm than good? Sorry for all the questions I'm worried sick about her!

Ideally you should give the probiotic at least an hour after the baytril but it will do no harm if you give it half an hour after if you can do that?

Ideally you should give the probiotic at least an hour after the baytril but it will do no harm if you give it half an hour after if you can do that?
Thanks I’ll get up earlier to do the baytril and then leaves an hour gap between them, thanks for your help

Back