• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

vet

emmamartin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
should i go for health checks at the vet? if so , what do i say to them and how often?

A vet check for new piggies is always a good idea, get them checked over and registered with a good local vet so you can always get them seen if needed. Routine vet checks every 3 or 6 months are a good idea too, even if you only opt to see a vet nurse who will check eyes, ears, weight, feet, fur, bum, trim their nails if you like, its good just to keep in contact with a good vet practice this way to make sure you are on the books and can access medical care if needed.
Check out our piggy savvy vet locator, and just phone and ask for a routine health check :)

I don't get regular health checks done. I check the eyes, ears, front teeth, genitals and weight/heft myself every week and then book in if I notice any changes

When I first rescued Mo and Stubbins, I brought them to the vet thinking that they needed vaccines. :doh:
I soon learned that that was not necessary for piggies. Mo and Stubbins were the first piggies that I had had for many years. I was super nervous, but the vet was so kind and answered all of my questions, and even gave me veggie recommendations!
I think that taking them to the vet was a huge advantage! She marked their weight and checked them all over. Having a vet tell me that they were healthy was a huge stress-reliever!
:)

My vet said that he only ever really sees guinea pigs when something is wrong with them. (and he's one of the best for small animals in the UK) He advised me to start doing yearly health checks and when they get to senior years do every half year. If more vets see Guinea pigs for just health check overs, like cats and dogs, can't be a bad thing really.

I would like to do this because I can't check all teeth myself, I can't feel for lumps and bumps or any abnormalities like a vet can, can't check temp, hydration.. Things like this

Back