• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vetbed Outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayemee

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I've always used wood shavings and hay as bedding for my outdoor hutch. However since putting a fleece blanket over my new girls bed, I've noticed how much they love to snuggle in it!
That's what got me thinking about possibly having fleece or Vetbed for them. I feel like it would keep them dryer in the colder months, and be better for their little feet. I plan on getting them cosy's and hideys made of fleece after Christmas.

Just not really sure what's the best option here. Any advice would be great, thank you in advance.

Have you seen the beddings overview under housing and enrichment?
Vetbed and fleece still have to be washed twice a week and spot cleaned (fleece once or more a day, vetbed at least twice)

Vetbed is particularly good for piggies with arthritis. Vetbed is a lot more expensive though.

I use vet bed and really believe it is the best bedding but my pigs live indoors.

Maybe @piggyfan can add some input on vetbed?
I personally use fleece and love it.

Spot cleaning and washing won't be a problem. :)

I've read reviews on the beddings but its mainly aimed at indoor use, that's why I'm still undecided. They absolutely adore their fleece blanket I have in there at the moment. Are your pigs outdoors?

Spot cleaning and washing won't be a problem. :)

I've read reviews on the beddings but its mainly aimed at indoor use, that's why I'm still undecided. They absolutely adore their fleece blanket I have in there at the moment. Are your pigs outdoors?
In summer my girls are in a hutch with fleece, but c&c indoors for the rest of the year. :)
Fleece works fine outdoors.

In summer my girls are in a hutch with fleece, but c&c indoors for the rest of the year. :)
Fleece works fine outdoors.

That sounds good :) What do you use under the fleece? I guess there is no harm in me trying the fleece idea, as its relatively cheap.

I use two layers of towels, and 6 layers of newspaper.

That sounds like something I could give a try. I feel like fleece would be so much better to be bedded on for their general health. I hate the idea of damp bedding on cooler days. At least with the fleece they can snuggle and won't be sat in their own mess.

That sounds like something I could give a try. I feel like fleece would be so much better to be bedded on for their general health. I hate the idea of damp bedding on cooler days. At least with the fleece they can snuggle and won't be sat in their own mess.
Yes, the fleece has to be washed at least three times to break the water barrier though before first use.
And needs to be washed at 60 degrees without fabric softener, I use white vinegar and non bio detergent.

Yes, the fleece has to be washed at least three times to break the water barrier though before first use.
And needs to be washed at 60 degrees without fabric softener, I use white vinegar and non bio detergent.

Yes that won't be a problem :) I'll look into getting some more fleece tomorrow (if I can brave the Christmas Eve crowds!) Then try and get it ready to try when they're due to have a full clean out on Friday.

Yes that won't be a problem :) I'll look into getting some more fleece tomorrow (if I can brave the Christmas Eve crowds!) Then try and get it ready to try when they're due to have a full clean out on Friday.
You can test if the fleece wicked properly if a drop of water on it sinks through, not sits on the top.

Oh yes, the crowds are terrible, today was awful!

You can test if the fleece wicked properly if a drop of water on it sinks through, not sits on the top.

Oh yes, the crowds are terrible, today was awful!

Brilliant, thank you for your advice. I think the girls are going to love fleece.

They really are! I'll go down as early as possible to try and avoid it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back