• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vets trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Luckily Honneybunnies were able to recommend a vets near the city centre which has proved ever so useful as I think Bumbles poorly eye might be a fungal infection and my OH is away this weekend (I don't drive). I've been waiting on a delivery from tesco direct and the only timing they could give me was between 7 and 7 mallethead

So I've been up since 7, its just been delivered and I got straight on the phone to the vets who luckily still have a couple of appointments left for today so 5.40 Bumble will be meeting another vet for a check over. Now I'm thinking pick up canesten cream on my way over and also take the anti fungal spray we brought yesterday with us so they can see what we have to treat them with. I'll also mention that I've placed an online order for ivermectin and sporal-D shampoo which should arrive tomorrow or monday as it's already been dispatched.

Is there anything else I need to be looking at telling the vet (apart from the injections for mites the other vets gave) or anything I should be asking the vet?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
No - you seem to fairly well covered. Good that you managed to bag an appointment!

If it turns out to be ringworm, you need to be on the lookout, as it is highly infectious for other piggies and one of the few things that can transmit to humans (where it is less severe).

You need to observe good hygiene and always thoroughly wash your hands. Use an apron or special old pullover for when you are treating.
http://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Wiebke, I'm really hoping its not ringworm because my immune system is pants at the moment and I will end up with it and it might prevent me from doing my placement in the nursery for a while. I will be treating both piggies as they've been living together so long and don't want to separate them when chances are Bea has caught it anyway. We'll see :(

I'm prepared to spend my weekend washing and disinfecting!

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good luck, sounds like you're well prepared, am following this thread as think we have similar- where did you order the shampoo from by the way

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
ordered it from vetdispense.co.uk along with the ivectermin (sp?).

Turns out its just a trauma that she keeps scratching so we have baytril and some antiinflammatories to stop her scratching it and we're back in a week for a check up or sooner if it gets worse.

So glad she doesn't think its fungal

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
urgs now I've found a bald patch on Bea! I'm hoping its just to do with the mites they've been treated for but will keep an eye open over the next week *sigh*

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
When I thought Milo had fungal my vet did a fungal culture, takes 10 days for the results and a bit pricey but adleast you know either way.

hellsbells82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I thought Milo had fungal my vet did a fungal culture, takes 10 days for the results and a bit pricey but adleast you know either way.
yes that's what I was thinking, I'm 90% sure my little boys have a fungal issue, but am thinking I'll ask the vet to do one next week if the patches haven't cleared up with cream and shampoo to be sure it's the right thing, otherwise you could go on treating them forever.

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
yes that's what I was thinking, I'm 90% sure my little boys have a fungal issue, but am thinking I'll ask the vet to do one next week if the patches haven't cleared up with cream and shampoo to be sure it's the right thing, otherwise you could go on treating them forever.

Milo had what appeared to be ringworm, I showed pictures to GG and some other piggy Savy people I know. We were all in agreement it was fungal. After treating him for the problem, it never went away. I soon decided a vet visit was needed and it turned out he didn't have fungal atall. I was treating him for nothing, so now I've learned although some people do self medicate I find it saves me money just visiting my vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.