• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoaandMalibu

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if people take their guinea pigs to the vet together? Only one needs to be seen, but is it less stressful to take two in the carrier? are you allowed to?

Thanks

Hi all,

Just wondering if people take their guinea pigs to the vet together? Only one needs to be seen, but is it less stressful to take two in the carrier? are you allowed to?

Thanks

I always do unless it is for pts (euthanasia) or I have been specifically requested by the vet to bring a piggy in alone for a major operation.

I call my companion piggies "paw-holders"; it is much less stressful if the piggies have got somepig to snuggle up with and if bonded pairs are not separated. Vets usually don't mind it at all.

Agreed, my vet always says to bring a friend for my piggie when we have a visit and even for op/ stays at the vets for a few days as much less stressful (unless as Wiebke says for euthanasia)and i think a happy pig can help recovery.

I would always take their friend as it gives them some added support. Vets shouldn't mind, even if your piggy was staying in, as they would take upbthe same amount of space!

It is particularly important for a piggy to know when their friend has passed to Rainbow Bridge, so even more important to take them both if you ever suspect euthanasia will be involved. Invisible heartbreaking how some piggies will cuddle up to their friend once they've gone, but this really can help with the grieving process for them and also for us.

I would always take their friend as it gives them some added support. Vets shouldn't mind, even if your piggy was staying in, as they would take upbthe same amount of space!

It is particularly important for a piggy to know when their friend has passed to Rainbow Bridge, so even more important to take them both if you ever suspect euthanasia will be involved. Invisible heartbreaking how some piggies will cuddle up to their friend once they've gone, but this really can help with the grieving process for them and also for us.

I always bring my pts piggies back home for taking leave, but I have had bad reactions if that has happened at the vets. There is no surefire one-rule-fits-all situations. In my experience, many dying piggies remove themselves from the group if they have got the option. I try to respect that if that is the case.

i always take both, and both stay if one needs to. the vets encourage this. if absolutely necessary, and if they need to monitor the poorly one more closely, they will separate them via a partition between cages so that the bonded pair can still essentially be very close by and see each other. but they try not to separate them at all if possible due to the added stress it can cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back