• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vick Vapour Rub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was recommended that aswell by the CCT when piggies have problems breathing - but I am not too sure about it... :-\

I remember that my boyfriend had tears in his eyes because of it, the smell was so strong. Now I am just imagining how it must be for a guinea pig, with their noses being alot more sensitive..

also, what if a piggy tries to clean it off its nose, and gets some in its mouth? Is it really safe for them to accidentally swallow?

I am just a bit worried about this being so often recommended, I cant imagine it being a good thing to do.. maybe when drastic measures are needed, but to have it in ones first aid kit as a standard thing?

Has anyone got any experiences with that?

Will ask my vet today when I go to work and see what she thinks of it.

Mary

You can use a small blob on the end of piggies nose to help relieve snuffling, etc. If you don't want to use this, try a steam tent with olbas oil which also clears the nasal passages but is done indirectly.

I have used a large bowl and added a couple of drops in a room with windows closed next to the cage. I have also covered a carrier and the bowl with a large towel and gave piggy a steam treatment for a couple of minutes that way. I find the carrier method better...

Peter Gurney used to recommend this too, probably as Vedra does. Like you I don't like the thought of using it and as a nurse, I can't believe that it actually does much good. In my opinion it does little for humans and is more of an irritant than anything else.
But each to their own, however I wouldn't put it near my guinea pigs. However if people have used it on their guineas with good effect, I can understand them using it again.

Barbara

Putting a small amount of it on to a snugglesafe is also useful as the heat will release the vapour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back