• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Vit C Deficiency Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danone

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi all, recently one of my pigs suffered with bloat so i cut out lettuce which seems to have cured it,anyway i cut it out for both pigs and now the other one seems to have a vit c deficiency,well thats what the vet thinks,he is hopping rather than walking/running ,it only stated today so i hope i have caught it in time,anyway i have been reading up and it does point to vit c deficiency, is lettuce high in vit c ? some say yes some say no ? i feed him cos,round and little gem.

please help

hi,i got some drops,not putting in water but was going to put on his food,any thoughts on the lettuce/vit c?

Lettuce is is high in vitamin A (which can accumulate in the liver), but not high in vitamin C. If this is the only veg you have been feeding, then it is not at all a good diet and could well lead to scurvy/vitamin C deficiency, especially when coupled with feeding muesli/dry mix.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...veg-and-fruit-list-with-vitamin-c-grading.42/

You will find a list of what high vitamin C veg and herbs piggies can eat in this thread here. I would strongly recommend to additionally feed or syringe vitamin C tablets. Either or the Oxbow ones, which have been specially designed for animals or dissolve 1/4 of a human tablet in 1ml of water and syringe that daily (or 1/8 of a human tablet twice daily).
http://www.guinealynx.info/scurvy.html

hi, no i feed green peppers,carrot(small piece)cucumber,cherry toms twice daily, plus muesli and nuggets , the only recent change is cutting out lettuce for both boys

I would slowly switch them over to pellets as museli is full of additives. It is junk food really.

hi they have been getting muesli and pellets for 3 years with no sides

It is up to you but museli is unhealthy. Research has linked it to tooth decay in rabbits.

PS: any bloating problem mean that you need to cut out fresh veg and then only introduce very slowly and in small quantities once the guts have stabilised for a couple of days. Digestion can stay tender for weeks or even months afterwards, so you need to be on your guard.
Fresh parsley or dill is a good high vitamin C treat; you can even grow it yourself on the window sill!

anyway the pig with bloat is doing fine, its the other boy who is having trouble walking,the vet checked for damage etc and found none, and as the only thing that has changed for him is the lack of lettuce i thought id ask about it.
ill get some tabs from tesco now, 1/4 tab daily but for how long ?

Until he is getting better; then you can go down to 1/8 of a tab daily. I would recommend to keep doing it for as long as he lives.

thank you, i just got tescos chewable vit c tablets,each tablet is 200mg vit c,i crushed 1/4 and dissolved into water,is that correct ?
also the vet has given metacam and baytril , do these work ok in conjunction with vit c tablets ?

If you are feeding tomatoes daily can give them.mouth sores.baytril is hard on the gut so he will need probiotics as well.Good luck

hi ,i have solved the bloat problem,its the other boy now with trouble walking

No problem feeding baytril and metacam as well as vitamin C. But baytril is infamous for being very harsh on the guts and can cause tummy upsets or loss of appetite, so a probiotic like bio-lapsis or avipro plus can help to keep the guts going. Fibreplex is also very good.

However, madguineapiglady has a valid point in that tomato should be treated like fruit and fed no more than twice weekly. Too much too often can cause painful sores on the lips and mouth in the long term.
http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

hi,i am fully aware of this and have been feeding small amounts of tomatoes with the inner taken out for 3 years with no sign of sores,i think we are going off subject ,i am asking about vit c deficiency not mouth sores or muesli or bloat etc , i understand peoples concerns but i am very experienced in diet etc , what i was asking was about if cutting out my pigs lettuce have i attributed to vit c deficiency,this is taken from guinea lynx, 89.3 mg -- Peppers*,Green compared to 24.0 mg -- Lettuce, Romaine* vit c per 100mg, i have read on other sites that leafy greens including lettuce are essential for vit c,some sites have conflicting info.

so since today my pig(not the one with bloat) has been hoping on his back legs,apart from that he is 100%.eating fine etc etc

Wouldn't have thought leaving out lettuce would cause vitamin c deficiency .They are getting high. Vitamin c veg and pellets.Mine don't get a lot of lettuce and they are thriving

thankyou, and yes seems that way but all the signs point towards vit c deficiency. ill give him vit c tabs an metacam and see how he goes , think i may leave the baytril for the min,

thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back