Vitamin C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cari longest

New Born Pup
Reaction score
How do I get my guinea pig to eat more vitamin C? I bought her the 'high C' treats and she doesn't seem to like them. I've also heard that some don't like the vitamin c drops for water.. What else can I do ?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
The best way of getting vitamin C into the diet is by feeding at least one high vitamin C veg or herb a day, like a slice of (sweet) pepper of any colour daily, a sprig of coriander/cilantro, parsley, dill or mint, a floret of stalk chunk of broccoli or a 1 inch slice of spring greens. That will suffice to cover the vitamin C intake of a healthy piggy.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

If you wish you can additionally give vitamin C, but do NOT add it to the water, as you cannot control the intake (and piggies usually drink noticeably less), so it only goes to feed algae blooms. I would recommend to top up the diet with additional vitamin C whenever your piggies are ill or suffer from a lowered immune system.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...vitamin-c-overview-with-product-links.115404/

Please do not be tempted to go overboard with adding vitamin C, as long term overdosing especially of young guinea pigs can lead to them developing scurvy (vitamin C) deficiency symptoms later in life as soon as the level drops for some reason. Moderation, as in all things, is key.

Do you have just one or two guinea pigs? Generally, two piggies will be healthier as they constantly stimulate each other. The "I want what you have got" also makes much less prone to become very picky when it comes to eating.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggies really LOVE parsley! But most (or all?) manufactured guineapig foods will contain added vitamin C - so if she is eating this then she will be getting some and that should put your mind more at rest. Although the best way, as @Wiebke said, is from veggies and by trying a variety you should be able to find something she likes. I tend to stay away from supplements for guinea pigs as I find they can get everything they need through their diet. Does she like grass/dandelions? I'm not sure how much vit C though. or you could try Pets at Home for 'flavoured' hay (or hay cookies) - they do dandelion and marigold and a variety of others in smaller bags for some variety in her diet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.