• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vitamin C

do they like peppers? Full of vit c.

Reactions: Tim
I use almost daily this product:
6e198dbe96d5a79e40b009dd57d1175f101d3e795fc8444f96f91f5f03213c11.jpg
each drop has 6mg vit C. I give the piggies 2 drops (=12mg). Just a little supplement. A bottle costs 5-6€ and lasts 1 month (3 piggies)
In UK you have this supplement which is even cheaper
5023652384057_0201_1478036278051.jpg
here the dosage is different... you have to calculate it.
Drops can be diluited in 3 drops of water or something else (I use pure cranberry juice+water+vit C). Then you will use a syringe... Vit C must be stored in dark and far from the air. hence, when you mix the drops you have to give them immediately.
The piggies will jump and climb on you... the taste is very good. There is no difficulty at all. (maybe only the first day when they don't know the taste...)
100_6875.JPG

I use almost daily this product:
View attachment 81093
each drop has 6mg vit C. I give the piggies 2 drops (=12mg). Just a little supplement. A bottle costs 5-6€ and lasts 1 month (3 piggies)
In UK you have this supplement which is even cheaper
View attachment 81094
here the dosage is different... you have to calculate it.
Drops can be diluited in 3 drops of water or something else (I use pure cranberry juice+water+vit C). Then you will use a syringe... Vit C must be stored in dark and far from the air. hence, when you mix the drops you have to give them immediately.
The piggies will jump and climb on you... the taste is very good. There is no difficulty at all. (maybe only the first day when they don't know the taste...)
View attachment 81095
Aren’t those children’s vitamin c stuff? For humans?

yes, they are mainly produced for newborns and little children. But maybe here in Italy Cebion drops is sold only for guinea pigs!:)) (effervescent supplements are cheaper and available at the supermarket...). Ascorbic acid is extremely cheap, you can find it also on Amazon! but the dosage for a piggie is really too little. They need only 10-20mg/kg a day (during stressful period they need 20-40mg).
Here vets don't suggest expensive pets products; they recommend only serious supplements for children because the dosage is more accurate, the product has a higher standard quality and you can be sure that the dose of vit C is really present in THAT dose.
An excess of vit C is not dangerous and is excreted with urine. Only huge and absurd dosages are dangerous. Vit C boosts the immunitary system, helps the body to absorb iron for producing good blood cells and there is no symptom if you are a little deficient... I prefer giving them 2 drops (12mg) although they eat a lot of fresh grass and bell pepper.
There are members here that use the second product I have mentioned you. The bottle is bigger, the price is cheaper, but the dosage is different. You should calculate how much vit C is in a drop of that product (or how many drops are in 0,5ml which is the specified dose).

What kind of veg do you feed? You shouldn't need to use vit C supplements if you feed plenty of veg :) I've never done it, it's better to go the natural way with a wide variety of grass, safe weeds and vitamin C rich veg like bell peppers or coriander.

I’ve tried syringe feeding them pure vitamin c, but they don’t like that! I think I’ll try to dilute it a lot.
yes, you must diluite it! I mix 2 drops of Cebion with 3-4 drops of water.
Anyway the first time I gave the vitamin to Osvaldo, the boar I adopted some months ago, he did not like the syringe (used in the past for giving him some medicine) and refused the vitamin. Every new food is not appreciated. My piggies literally run away even when they sniff a banana or a blueberry, or broccoli, simply because they don't know them...
And if the supplement must become a nightmare for you, let it be... grass and bell pepper have vit C.
Here in Italy piggies love Cebion, I don't know anybody in difficulty, but some owner does not use it. I don't think a supplement is necessary, it is only something good in addition which can help the immune system.

Does anyone know of a good vitamin C supplement?

One of my piggies is very picky and refuses to eat the oxbow ones and the brytil ones.

check out scottys animals on youtube he has a vitamin c for kids he uses he is awesome

Back