• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Vitamin spray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have got a vitamin spray to spray on their food. I got it when Dr was not eating and I thought he needed more vits. Anyone else use these?

Vitamin supplements are unnecessary if they get unlimited hay, a good quality pellet feed and a variety of fresh veggies. Sprays just make the food taste really yucky, so we get even less nutrients than usual if you use it. Drops in the water are just as bad, so also avoid these.

When you say not eating, do you mean eating nothing at all? How long has this been going on? Piggies not eating is a bad sign. Maybe his teeth hurt him when he chews - he could have overgrown incisors or molars, or malocclusion, both very painful conditions. Does he refuse all food? Have you visited the Vet to get an opinion? Not eating isn't a sign of deficiency, it is a sign of illness, so you really should have him checked out by a professional before trying treatments.

x Lady Tuppence x

thanks for the advice re vitamins.
Just to bring you up to speed with Dr - he had his teeth cut back a few weeks ago and after the surgery he developed anorexia. He has been monitored very closely by our vet who gave him intense recoevery food and a vitamin B12 injection to enhance appetite (which worked amazingly well). He is now eating well, although is still far too skinny. I think it's just a long haul. I am taking him to be weighed next week. He certainly seems much chirpier now!
x

I tried using both the vitamin spray once, and the drops in water when one of my piggies was ill.. they didn't like the taste much!
Not sure if it really helped

Kelly and piggies xx

they don't seem to notice much, but I would rather they got vits etc naturally.
x

me too, just that I wanted to help with my piggies' recovery! It doesn't hurt to try

When I have sick piggies I increase their vitamin C level to help them :) I normally up it to 50mg a day and then gradually decrease as they are getting better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back