• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wannabe Owner Questions! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapphirechaser

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the forum and I am looking to potentially be a guinea pig owner in the future. Before acquiring a piggy I do want to do thorough research to make sure that they are suitable for me and that my living conditions are suitable to them. I have read a lot of care pages and watched youtube videos and I absolutely love these creatures and their appearance, personalities and everything about them!

I do have some concerns that I would like actual guinea pig owner's input on from experience! So here goes!

1) Litter training.
I understand it is near impossible to litter train a guinea pig although this would make my life so much easier. Regardless, I looked into using fleece and I love that idea instead of bedding. I am planning on using fleece as well as a corner litter box with Yesterday's News litter hoping to potentially try to train the guinea pig. My questions is how do you clean the fleece? After a couple days it will be covered in poop. Do you just toss that in the washing machine or do you scrape the poop off or would you recommend using bedding?

2) A single pig.
I know that it is recommended that pigs be kept in groups or in pairs as they are social creatures. As I am a university student, I believe I could only provide adequate space for one guinea pig in my little room as well as plenty of outside cage enrichment. I know that they prefer a companion of their own kind however I was hoping I could get some input of owners of single housed guinea pigs. Apart from going to class I am home a lot of the day so I would be there to cuddle and allow them to explore and hangout outside of their cage. Would this be suitable and what are signs of a guinea pig that would be better off alone or a less social pig?

3) Shelter and Adoption.
I went to my local animal shelter and went to look at some piggies as they recent had an overflow of guinea pigs. I noticed that almost all of the guinea pigs were very skittish and mostly hid in their houses. There were 2 out of 8 that slightly perked up when they saw you and very carefully stepped out of houses to see what was going on but were still petrified when they were touched or picked up or held. My question here would be how friendly would guinea pigs get in a crazy, loud, hustling and bustling environment like an animal shelter? Would even the most friendly guinea pig be skittish and scared because they're prey animals? I do not want to sound heartless, but I am looking for a guinea pig that specifically doesn't mind being pet and cuddled so that we can suit each other's lifestyles. What should I look for in an animal shelter guinea pig that would suggest it doesn't mind cuddles even though it's currently in a hectic environment. Additionally, am I better to go with a certain breed due to temperament?

4) Noise.
I watched many youtube videos about guinea pigs and the various wheeks, rhumbles and purrs that they make. For a university student is it not a good idea to get a guinea pig if I live in student housing with other people? I also read that single housed guinea pigs will be quieter because they won't be wheeking among themselves. Is this true? How is the noise during different parts of the day? How loud does it get? What are signs in the animal shelter that would point to a louder or more vocal guinea pig?

I was hoping someone wouldn't mind giving me some advice about these points and sharing ideas or links to other threads about other things to consider. I know they have a long lifespan and I am prepared to continue caring for this animal even after I am finished school and moving into an apartment.

Thank-you in advance for your input.

Hello there. Welcome to the forum. It is great you are doing lots of researching before getting guinea pigs.

I have never been able to litter train my guinea pigs but this does not bother me as I feel it is natural for them to go everywhere. I know some people do have litter trained guinea pigs though so I am sure they can advise you. With fleece bedding you need to have an absorbent layer underneath such as towels. Poops will need to be removed at least twice a day then you just wash the fleece and towels in the washing machine. I would recommend you investing in a horse wash bag though as it prevents bits of hay from clogging up the washing machine.

If you cannot get two guinea pigs then I really would not get a guinea pig at all. There are a few guinea pigs that cannot live with other guinea pigs for various reasons but no matter how much attention you give your guinea pig it is not the same as a friend. Having two is no more work then to have one. They are social animals and really do need to live with another guinea pig.

Guinea pigs are prey animals and they have to learn trust before they will appreciate cuddles. I have four guinea pigs. One of them I have had for almost three years and yet she is still very timid and nervous and dislikes cuddles. Another one loves them and will lay on my chest. It depends on their personality but you will not get one that likes cuddles right away. It is not the environment of the shelter that makes them timid. It is just a guinea pigs nature. It does take a lot of work to build up a relationship with guinea pigs but it really is so worth it.

As for noise that does vary. They wheek when it is food time or once they learn the routine and it is almost food time. They will make noises as they interact together but I would not say they are very noisy animals. I have a neutered boar and he will rumble and then the sows will squeel as he chases them. I actually love hearing their noises and find it really sweet.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please feel free to ask as much as you like.

Welcome to the forum . I am so pleased that you are doing your research before getting guinea pigs.

I am going to answer your 2nd question 1st.

Guinea pigs are social animals. The majority of them prefer to be kept with a companion. I know that some people can provide a lot of company to a lone guinea pig but you have your studies to think of. I think you would come to regret getting a lone guinea pig.

Piggy fan has answered you question in detail.

Please feel to ask if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
So if a pig that was very friendly and loved being handled and then they were surrendered to an animal shelter would their behaviour differ from an unsocialized guinea pig in the shelter?

How would a single guinea pig eventually act? What kind of behaviours would is display showing me that it prefers a cagemate of its own species?

As for noise, how often and at what times of days is the noise on average? I live in a house in a single room with other individuals. Could this be heard through the walls of a normal house?

Does the gender or breed affect guinea pig temperament?
Does the age of the pig affect how easily it can bond with you and trust you?

I don't think thier behaviour would differ as guinea pigs are naturally prey animals so they are normally a bit scared when they move location.
I'm not sure what a single piggy would act like as never had one best to pm someone on here who has a single piggy or hope they reply to this thread.
I don't think piggy sounds happen at strict times just when they are happy, want food, hear a bag rustling ... Some piggys are a lot less squeaky than others.
Gender and age don't affect how they bond with you or thier temperament.
Oh Hi and :wel:!
I hope this helps!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have you spoken to the shelter about their requirements. Any good rescue will be reluctant to rehome single pigs without a friend and will also have their own requirements re housing size etc. I think if you are looking at getting one they are really who you need to speak to.

Hello and welcome to the forum! I volunteer in an animal rescue centre and their guinea pigs are housed in quiet rooms away from the bustle of everywhere else, although they can hear the dogs barking in the nearby kennels! They try to pair up the pigs if at all possible, but do rarely get an aggressive personality who has to be kept in a separate cage adjacent to another pig for company. I have fostered single pigs( with health concerns) and pairs and groups of piggies and they really are much happier and active with another gpig as companion. Perhaps if you can possibly bear to wait until your studies are completed you might find yourself in a better situation to take on some guinea pigs? Not meaning to put a downer on your hopes, just offering my take on things:wel:. You are doing the necessary research, also you need to factor in vet's bills - which can be quite scary!

Hi and welcome!

It is good that you are doing your research first!

As you will be busy learning a lot of the time, having a single piggy depending on you for round-the-clock company for the next 5-7 years is a HUGE commitment. You will find that single piggies often develop some very annoying attention seeking habits because they are bored/desperate for company. Generally, two piggies that have company all the time are healthier and happier because of that, and keeping them will not cost you much more than a single guinea pig.

Getting guinea pigs from a shelter is a good idea, but please be aware that not all shelters or rescues are piggy savvy or have a mandatory quarantine/medical care; you need to make enquiries first. It would help us if you please added your country to your details, by clicking on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. We have got a good standard piggy savvy UK rescue locator on the top bar and can provide contacts for more good guinea pig rescues in other countries. We can only guarantee for any listed rescues.

As you are a student on a limited budget, you really need to be aware that the biggest cost in having pets are vet fees, even more so in the US or Australia where vet cost are easily double of what they are in the UK and where the money needs to be paid upfront.
Illness and emergencies never happen at a convenient time and the expenses can very quickly climb into the hundreds of dollars/pounds; some of our US forum members have been quoted as much as $1000 for an emergency operation! :(
It is very likely that any pet of yours will need vet care at some point or other during their life. We see regularly how upsetting it is for a caring owner if they cannot afford it and the piggy dies or is too far gone by the time they have organised the money. Unfortunately, getting the pet itself is generally by far the cheapest bit of the whole expercise! if you want to have any kind of pet, you really have to factor in setting aside a certain amount of money on a weekly or monthly basis to either pay exotics insurance (that is what guinea pigs are classed as) or save up in a piggy vet account.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/veterinary-fees-some-important-information.91847/

I am located in Ontario, Canada. I don't think the rescue is particularly savvy in guinea pigs and they normally have a quieter "small animal" room but it is overfilled and so some of the guinea pigs are out in the hall amongst the commotion. I spoke to them about the adoption process and they said it could be completed in one day. They just seem like they really want people to take the piggies regardless of whether they go home in pairs or whether people really know a lot about them when they adopt them. I think it's just an unfortunate over capacity rescue situation and they don't mean to be negligent about this.

It's hard for me to realize that I am probably not ready for a guinea pig as most of you are saying although I really do see it is true. Both because of the limited space in my room and not being prepared for two guinea pigs. Financially, I think I might be able cover the cost of a guinea pig as I do work part time on weekends. I understand the extent of vet bills and the necessity of treatment because while still in high school I used to work for a vet clinic as a kennel aid. I know all too well the story of people hearing their pet needs extensive vet care but they are not in a financial situation to provide the adequate care.

Thank-you for your input, I really appreciate the comments from guinea pig owners and experts because I know that it's obvious that your experience tells you exactly how a single house guinea pig situation would turn out. I think that I was asking on here hoping that someone would just say Yeah go ahead and get just one guinea pig! But this is not the reality.

I think that I will hold off until I'm in my own living space and I have the room to make them a cool cage like all those CC cages I see online with the fleece and all those accessories. That way I will have the space for two and will not have to worry about noise and neighbours.

Again thanks for the input and hopefully you will all be hearing from me in a few years! :)

I hope we will be hearing from you again when the time is right. You are going to be a fabulous piggy mummy, you have proved that already by doing all of the research and finally putting the piggy's needs ahead of your own. Well done!

Good luck with the studies - the time will fly and I bet it wont be long before you are back again x

Well I commend you for thinking very sensibly about this. Any pet is a commitment but also as you are in temporary accommodation its hard to say whether having a pet would impact your next housing option. When I moved out of the home I shared with my ex I was lucky to find a landlord that let me keep the guinea pigs in the flat but not all landlords will and you could breech a tenancy by having pets so it's something worth thinking about maybe when you are more settled somewhere.

In the meantime is it worth considering maybe a smaller pet that doesn't need the company and quite the same amount of space like a hamster (though night times on a wheel could be noisy) or fish? You clearly have a lot of love to share with a pet

Hi saphirechaser. Wishing you all the best for the future, think you will be a very committed and loving piggy owner when the time comes around, keep in touch with the forum!:):) x

Hi I'm quite new to this forum and only had my guinea pig a month, I had just the one as he was the only one left in the pet shop. He seems content and he popcorns at free time and I give him a lot of love and attention but I've noticed when he's jn his cage no matter howany toys I've put in he always hides in his little hidey and it makes me feel bad he's on his own I think he would play a lot more and wouldn't be as timid if he had a companion so I'm going to have a two shelved indoor cage built and get him another male, as I think they are better off and have a happier life with another huinea pig. Hope I helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back