• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Warning To Those Who Don't Seek Veterinary Care for Sick Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have become increasingly concerned at the number of posts where new members in particular are stating that their pig is sick, but that they cannot afford or cannot persuade their parents to take the pig to the vet. I would like to aim this message towards those people and I will be requesting that it is made a sticky.

Ideally, before acquiring your guinea pigs, you will have researched whether the are the right pet for you. However if you have not, and even if you have, I request that you have a read through this thread to see if guinea pigs are suitable for you after all: http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36801

Now, regarding poorly piggies. If your animal is sick, it is illegal to deny it medical care. No ifs, no buts, and I know it is really not what you want to hear, but it is your responsibility to seek medical care for your animal. You are failing your pig by not being able to afford or get to a vet. If you love your pig yet cannot afford vet care, you simply cannot be a responsible owner.

I should add here that I am not referring to those who have been back and forth to vets many times and have amassed bills into the hundreds, that is an entirely different situation. In this thread I am talking about those who simply say: I cannot afford to take my sick pig to the vet.

I genuinely do feel for those who clearly want to seek vet care but are facing resistance from parents. I can empathise with those who say their parents will not take the pig to the vet. I feel for those who so adore their pigs and even depend on them to some degree, who love their pigs so much they cannot bear to let them go even if they cannot afford vet fees.

However, there are only two responsible things I can say to this:
Number one, I must point out that if you are under 16, then it is your parents legal obligation to seek medical care.

Number two, if you cannot afford to take your pig to the vet, or if your parents are denying you to take the pig to the vet, you are failing your pig. As such can you please - for your pigs sake - surrender the pig to someone who can provide everything that is needed.

If you truly love your pig, you will allow him or her to go somewhere that will ensure he or she gets the necessary treatment.

It is not an act of love to withhold veterinary treatment when you know the animal needs it. Your feelings have to come behind the basic needs of the animal - it is what being an owner is about. At times like this, I am sorry to say, love is NOT all that is needed.

Here here. I took 2 into the rescue last week who needed help. The student said she couldn't afford the vets, but I bet she and her partner have a drink or a takeaway on a weekend! Both pigs had mites and fungal, one of them was bone thin and had little hair left on his bottom half. I was so angry to have them come here when we were full, but at least here they are having treatment. She was a student when she got them, no change of circumstances. The condition could have been nipped in the bud with little discomfort but instead had been left to get in a bad situation leaving the pig pulling out their own hair before seeking (free) help in dumping their pigs.

I agree if you can't afford unexpected vet bills don't get a pet:(

Often we find it hard to find the money for the vets, we had hamster who had to be rushed to the emergency vets as he was very ill we phoned and they aid it would be £80:(

Or the said wait till the morning, and it would be £30. We went overdrawn as I couldn't see the hamster suffer overnight.

Reactions: bew
I agree, being a mum myself I understand only to well that if we take on a pet (and we have many rescued pets) it is MY responsibility to make sure ALL our pets are happy, healthy and taken to a vet if needed. My heart goes out to the all the children on here who's paretns refuse to take a sick pet to the vet ! When our family dog died (at the age of 19 years) it is one of the worst things I have ever been through in my life.

My love and cuddles go out to all the children on here who have recently lost their beloved pet. Big Hug x

I personally don't know how anyone can watch an animal suffer, When Bette was ill I was getting a bus, train and taxi to get too the best Cavy Savy Vet I could find.

When Bette went downhill and I knew she was leaving. It pained me to watch her suffer, that was the most horrible part of Bette being unwell, Bette being in pain despite the vet visits. We still went to the vet at this point all I could do was help her on her way still in my eyes very much worth it. If only to make the pain go away for her, my poor girl.

If I was too do it all again, I still would. Your best is just never enough, well it wasn't for Bette and the "What if's" still upset me.

I really tried despite everything, it pains me when people don't put the animal first.

Well said Laura it should be thought through right from the start about the care of the pet and the "what ifs" should be considered and if they cannot be honoured then the pet should not be brought into that home

We would pay any amount of money for any of our guinea pigs, and we have done with Jules but he was our baby and we would have done anything we could for him and we have done with Mo where the piggies are concerned there are no negotiations whatever the cost they will be taken to a vet and if that means us being skint and going into overdrafts then so be it we love our piggies way too much to not get them the care they deserve and it saddens me that there are more and more people using the "i cant afford it" "my parents wont let me" - their parents must have agreed to getting a pet so as you say it is their repsonsibility grrrr

I personally don't know how anyone can watch an animal suffer, When Bette was ill I was getting a bus, train and taxi to get too the best Cavy Savy Vet I could find.

When Bette went downhill and I knew she was leaving. It pained me to watch her suffer, that was the most horrible part of Bette being unwell, Bette being in pain despite the vet visits. We still went to the vet at this point all I could do was help her on her way still in my eyes very much worth it. If only to make the pain go away for her, my poor girl.

If I was too do it all again, I still would. Your best is just never enough, well it wasn't for Bette and the "What if's" still upset me.

I really tried despite everything, it pains me when people don't put the animal first.

I know exactly how you're feeling I went through all the "what ifs" when Jules quite clearly wasn't being helped by our vet and it upsets me to think if they had just noticed what Laura noticed within an hour or so he might have still been here but then again he might not have we will never know and Laura is thee best person ever she helped us and Jules so so much we cannot thank her enough she gave Jules those extra precious few weeks on this earth and she and her mum are very special people in our eye x

Here here! I'm so glad you have put this up for people who don't take their pigs to the vets, this needs to be heard and read. I don't think some people consider vet bills when buying a new pet, especially with smaller animals.

UGH! It annoys me when students say they cannot afford to take their pets to the vets, as overdraft facilities are free if you found yourself with a huge vet bills (I am a student and know this!) as well as this they should take in consideration how much it costs to own a pet, and budget themselves , I haven't had a new outfit/night out/holiday in years as my pets are my priority, and I even have a current account where i put away money just in case my pets ever need it for veterinary treatment.
This summer I spent over £200 vet bills for Artie the guinea and my dog for vaccinations, and wouldn't for a second consider leaving them to suffer. I know with Artie, as soon as I noticed his breathing labouring within the first day of having him I was straight to the vet, and took him to a different vet for a second opinion. If I ever found myself in a situation where my finances meant I could not afford the standard of care I provide for my pets, I know (as i asked my family this before getting my pets) my family will take them on as foster owners. Your pets are your priority. I know it can be difficult taking a loved pet to the vet, especially when you know that you won’t be coming home with him/her, but sometimes your animals needs comes before yours. This subject really annoys me sometimes.

I am a student and i pay for everything for my piggies with no help from parents. I supply their food/cages/vets etc and yet still have money left over. I dont think not being able to afford it is a silly excuse. Majority of students get EMA/Student Loans/ ALG. Some people may not agree but i dont have ANY friends who say they cant come out because they have no money so why would you not have money for your pigs? Sorry to offend anyone.

Sorry for the long ranting post above!")

I completely agree with this. If you can not afford vets bills, you shouldn't have a pet. Simple!

When Connie was ill, we must have spent £500 on her and yes, it did break us and she didn't survive in the end but at least I can sleep well knowing I gave her the best chance possible.

This is yet another problem with impulse buying and being able to buy animals from pet shops so cheap :(

Great post, I mean vets can be idiots so find the right one but yes, an animal has to be treated, the faster the better, sometimes you might have to wait a day or two due to timing (getting there or such) but if you couldn't afford the vet bills, then the animal shouldn't be with you. If I lost my boyfriend, I'd have to give up at least 2 of my guinea pigs as I wouldn't be able to afford them. Simple fact :(

I agree that you should only have the pet if you're willing to take it to the vet. You may not be beating the animal (which would put you straight into jail..) but you could be causing it pain and suffering just by not taking it to the vet which is probably just as bad. When I noticed Terry dribbling one day I booked a vets appointment straight away, and even though he was checked and given the ok then I was billed about £50, it was all worth it to know that Terry was ok.

Also, i know emergencies can happen and they are very costly. One of my guinea pigs had an eye infection and the total for this was roughly £90. However, people put money aside for cars/holidays etc why not put money aside for if the worst ever does happen.

I completely agree with this. If you can not afford vets bills, you shouldn't have a pet. Simple!

When Connie was ill, we must have spent £500 on her and yes, it did break us and she didn't survive in the end but at least I can sleep well knowing I gave her the best chance possible.

This is yet another problem with impulse buying and being able to buy animals from pet shops so cheap :(

We were the exact same with Jules but it gave him the fighting chance he so deserved as you did for Connie that our vets clearly werent willing to give him x

I know exactly how you're feeling I went through all the "what ifs" when Jules quite clearly wasn't being helped by our vet and it upsets me to think if they had just noticed what Laura noticed within an hour or so he might have still been here but then again he might not have we will never know and Laura is thee best person ever she helped us and Jules so so much we cannot thank her enough she gave Jules those extra precious few weeks on this earth and she and her mum are very special people in our eye x

I don't think I can blame the vets, but I do wish rather than make up a lie. They could have just said " Do you know what, we don't know" rather than tell me hairballs, although I must say that raised huge alarm bells for me.

I just wish the first urine sample would have shown high glucose, and then we could have investigated further to find the diabetes. I'm still pained by the outcome, but I am glad I have now found a vet I can trust.

I can't wait till the day, I can think of Bette and the happiness she brought. Just wish she could have stayed longer.

Great post. I think most people can find money one way or another for the odd visit or two, even more. However, problems can arise when there are ongoing treatments needed, it can be really difficult for many to keep on paying out. I think when people buy/adopt a small animal, they have no notion of how vet costs can escalate, yet somehow with a dog (for example) people almost expect it. Maybe if people are more aware they would be less willing to have small animals, I don't know. Difficult. But you are absolutely right Laura, witholding appropriate care is wrong.

I just want to post this as a follow up. It has been raised with me that some recent threads could be construed as the target for this post. It is not aimed at any one member, please trust me on that.

I am not someone who comes out and says what I did without having a solid reason for it, it is very very very rare I will ever say anything that solid and strong, and as such I never do so without having a very solid reason. I am an analyst, deep deep thinker, I see all different angles. As I stressed numerous times in my post, I was aiming it mainly at new members, and at those who come out with the line: "But I can't afford to take the pig to a vet". There are many who say precisely that line.

Most people know me well enough to know this and to take my word as deeply thought out and sincere, people know I do not say anything solid unless I am totally confident on all views of the situation.

Looking back on my posts today, people will see that the post I made prior to starting this thread was in response to a newbie saying their pig was sick and that they could not take it to the vet. I acted in reaction to that, and to the fact that more than once I have written a watered down version of that message time and time and time again, especially in the last few weeks.

Yes it is a very strongly worded message, but if you look at the words carefully, I make it clear what I mean. I word my posts excruciatingly carefully. I am sorry if anyone takes it personally, but for the sake of the pigs, it has to be said, and it's something I feel very strongly about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back