• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Washing Fleece Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
just got a new washing machine today and might not have done my homework well enough so could do with some advice.

The old machine had a 60 degree cycle for synthetic fabrics which I used when washing the piggies fleeces if there was a fungal outbreak.

This new machine is a Bosch brand one. I could run a cottons cycle at 60 degrees but according to the manual the cottons settings are for heat resistant fabrics made of cotton or linen. It describes the "easy care" options as being for textiles made of synthetic or blended fabrics (fleece I would put in this category) but I can only choose 30 or 40 degree washes for easy care.

What should I do when i need a 60 degree wash of the fleeces do you think? Choose the cottons cycle?

I realise it isn't necessary to always wash the fleeces at 60 degrees so most of the time I can use the 40 degree easy care option just fine.

I wash mine on 60 cottons every time to kill the bacteria as my machine doesn't do an acrylics wash hotter than 40.

I wash mine on 60 cottons every time to kill the bacteria as my machine doesn't do an acrylics wash hotter than 40.
Thanks - have you noticed much shrinkage that might be from it being a cottons wash? I always thought it was the hotter temperatures which caused shrinkage. Other than being able to use a faster spin speed I'm not really sure what difference there is between a cotton wash and an easy care wash.

I tend to make my own fleeces, so they get a hot wash a few times first to make them wick before I sew them into cage shaped liners or house liners. They probably do shrink a bit at first washing but it's not very noticeable. I think it's the temp that shrinks them but I'm no scientist so it could be the cycle not the high temp.

I wish I could make my own liners, it would save me some pennies! I wash on 60 most of the time but I've noticed shrinkage with two of the liners, the others are fine.

Soometimes I don't even sew them - just buy large fleeces and fold them in half. I'm not a skilled seamstress so only make odd sized rectangles to cover the floor!

Nothing wrong with that, I've paid between £36 and £38 roughly per liner, that's six in total :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back