• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Washing Piggie's 'smalls'

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkdaleangela

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read somewhere (maybe this Forum?) that you shouldn't use fabric conditioner when washing cosies, blankets, etc, because this inhibits the fabric's ability to absorb moisture. (We have quite a lot of ' moisture' to deal with among the four little dears I have the privilege of serving!). I'm finding that no fabric conditioner is leaving the fabrics, which are mainly synthetic fleece, quite full of static and I don't want this to shock the GPs and deter them from snuggling in. Advice please ?

I'm not sure, I don't use fabric conditioner separate but I do was my fleece with the same powder as all my clothes and never have a problem with it wicking. I just use a non bio. Do you tumble dry them? That can cause a lot of static in fleece.

Softener seals the surface of the fleece, which means that piggies sit or lie in their own pee instead of the fluid seeping through the fleece to an absorbent layer beneath. Please do not use softener with your fleece. Please wash any fleece at higher temperatures to prevent the build-up of bacteria and other bugs. You can use vinegar in each wash if you are worried about the smell, but washing at 60 C/140 F should take care of the smelling problem, too; it does with mine. Use non-bio softener free washing powder.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/

As for your main question of the static problem, I only get this if they are tumble dried, but it does go once they are all separated and folded etc. Otherwise I'm not sure how you'd stop the static.

Softener seals the surface of the fleece, which means that piggies sit or lie in their own pee instead of the fluid seeping through the fleece to an absorbent layer beneath. Please do not use softener with your fleece. Please wash any fleece at higher temperatures to prevent the build-up of bacteria and other bugs. You can use vinegar in each wash if you are worried about the smell, but washing at 60 C/140 F should take care of the smelling problem, too; it does with mine. Use non-bio softener free washing powder.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/
Thank you. It's good to have the no fabric softener confirmed. No problem with the smell. I put a scoosh of hutch disinfectant in with the detergent. All my household cleaning stuff is non-bio and organic when i can afford it.

i have just recently got some new fleece blankets but the static on them is terrible. i've always used white vinegar in place of fabric softener and this has been fine usually but it's not working as well this time. does anyone have any other tips? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back