Washing powder for bedding?

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I keep my piggies on layers of towels, with puppy pads on top, then bath mats on top of those. They also have fleece bedding and fleece pads.

I change and wash these every other day (at most every 3 days). I don’t use softener, just non-bio washing powder on a 60 degree wash.

I’ve had a couple of guinea pigs have a strep respiratory infection in the last few weeks (being treated with antibiotics). One completely cleared up already but still sneezes occasionally. Do you think I’m doing something wrong with the bedding?
Should I be washing it another way? Could the bedding or bedding powder cause respiratory problems?

many thanks for all the help!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know that the bedding can cause a respiratory infection. I may be wrong, but if their immunity is low they could then be susceptible to illnesses. Do you thoroughly clean the cage at least monthly as well? I’ll tag @Piggies&buns @PigglePuggle

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr:

Fleece bedding isn’t going to cause bacterial infections not unless it is filthy, never being washed and harbouring all sorts...I don’t think that is the case here! You’re using a good hot wash so everything is being killed off from the fibres.
Some disposable beddings and hay can cause airway irritation if it is dusty (dust from hay or shavings for example). But again, that’s not bacterial so any such irritation wouldnt respond to antibiotics.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes I very much doubt the bedding or cleaning is causing the issue here, the 60 degree was should kill any bacteria on fleece, do you have F10 disinfectant to clean the cage base? That would also kill any bacteria... I think if piggy is still sneezing persistently you should go back to the vet just in case the infection is lingering, not all antibiotics shift all infections, maybe the vet can take a nose swab to see if there is still infection and if so which antibiotic is effective?

Marvel_piggie_squad

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you, they did the swab and know which bacteria it is. So I’ll take him back, perhaps it’s a longer course needed.
Other than that he’s such a happy pig! Pop corns that much that he actual rolls himself over (I hope that is normal) lol!
thanks for all the advice 😊