• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Washing Up Liquid To Clean Grease Gland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beans&Toast

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can you really use this to clean piggies grease gland? I've seen it recommended on here, but surely that wouldn't be good for their skin..?

I would also love t know the answer to this because I have one lady (Lucy) who seems to have a fairly active grease gland, which I guess will eventually need cleaning.
I want to order some shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas, but to keep costs down I am hoping to wait until we are next in the UK.

Beans keeps biting at hers so I'm going to give it a clean and see if that helps. It says on here and Google that you can use Fairy Liquid but I'm worried that will be too harsh on their skin?

Can't use coconut oil as I'm allergic..:hmm:

Beans keeps biting at hers so I'm going to give it a clean and see if that helps. It says on here and Google that you can use Fairy Liquid but I'm worried that will be too harsh on their skin?

Can't use coconut oil as I'm allergic..:hmm:
I've been told I need to start cleaning one of my pigs grease glands weekly by the local vet as he's all matted at the back and I read about coconut oil and one other thing you can use in the boar bum and bits thread x

I have heard Swarfega mentioned in many youtube vids. No idea where you'd find that but I'd have thought that is also quite harsh as it looks horrible but apparently very effective.

Swarfega - Wikipedia

I use Swarfega too - it dissolves the 'scab' and leave lovely soft skin behind. It's great - much better than other ways i have tried, incl washing up liquid

I put it on neat, rub it a bit, leave it for a few minutes, then wash it off (and do a quick bum wash). It's actually pretty easy as the swarfega is so good. I have a boy who quickly gets very crusty.

It can be really expensive, but it seems that B&Q is the cheapest at the moment. They do two sorts, one has little bits of gritty stuff in, which obviously isn't very piggie friendly.

Here's the one to use
Swarfega Original Hand Cleaner, 250 ml | Departments | DIY at B&Q

Good luck!!

Piggiepigpigs uses this in her YouTube video about how to clean the grease gland. Looks very effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back