• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Washing Vet Bed And Fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma7ie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have recently changed to fleece and have also got some vet bed on order. I have been washing it in non bio liquid as suggested. I was just wondering if anyone uses napisan in the wash too, to kill off any bacteria? I just want to make sure that it's safe for piggies please.

As long as you wash it on a high temperature it wouldn't be needed :) Hope the change over goes well. Oh, don't use softener by the way.

You'd need to wash above 60 degrees to kill all the bacteria. I wash my vetbed at 30 degrees using Halo detergent, as it's specifically designed to kill bacteria at a low temperature. It's also best to wash in a washbag of some kind to avoid filling your machine with hay!

I spray the surface with diluted zoflora disinfectant before the wash in a wash bag. Zoflora is pet safe once it has dried and it is washed after spraying anyway so this way seems best for me.

I
Thanks everyone. I have ordered a washbag. Where do you get your halo from @Jerrybelly please?

I order direct -http://www.halononbio.co.uk/
Its a bit more pricey than your average detergent, but a bottle lasts ages and I would recommend. The vetbeds smell lovely and fresh after every wash and it has the advantage of working at 30 degrees, so better for the environment and energy bills!

The bedding that you use, and how you care for it, is a personal choice, and after a bit of trial and error you'll find a routine that works for you :nod:

I spray the surface with diluted zoflora disinfectant before the wash in a wash bag. Zoflora is pet safe once it has dried and it is washed after spraying anyway so this way seems best for me.
I've read somewhere zoflora is toxic to cats but I'm not sure about guinea pigs apparently anything that turns the water white ie zoflora and disinfectant is supposed to be toxic

Last edited:
I use Dettol laundry Cleanser with my fleeces and towels. It is designed for use on clothes and kills bacteria. :tu:
DogProductsdirect.co.uk also sell a washing liquid especially for use with Vetbed and the like, which kills fleas and ticks etc.

i was going to suggest the same - wash higher, use halo, or add white vinegar to the rinse cycle. white vinegar removes any remaining liquid residue, acts as a softener without actually being one that can damage the fleece, and it's good for bacteria and smells :)

I've had a look at halo, but it looks like i have to buy 6 bottles, as they don't seem to do single ones. I think I will try the dettol laundry cleanser first and see how it goes. Thank you for everyone's advice, it's much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back