• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Washing vet bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
You know I really miss using vet bed! I loved it. It was like carpet. I really fancy having nice bright coloured pieces like carpet and doing my pens out in it. Its not that I don't like the megazorb. Its great. Really absorbant, cheap enough and I can get it easy. Also I don't need to do a full clean out as often as with the vetbed. BUt did like the vetbed sooooooooo much. Problem was washing. I got 'banned' by Adam from using the washing machine as I kept clogging it up & also getting it full of hair.

What do vet bed users use to wash theirs? Anyone use a lauderette? Do you think they would do it?

have you tried putting the vet bed inside a pillow case in the washing machine, that might stop the fluff clogging the washing machine up,
how you doing Susie? any news on the KM front? me being nosy ;D
and hows work going,? I often think of you teaching the little blighters lol mine have sats this week, and have been told to make them eat breakfast and early to bed etc the head wants to try making my kids do all her rules,
glad to see you have got 2 new piggys look forward to some more original pictures x

Putting it in a pillowcase is a fab idea. I'm going to try that. I have washed mine by hand before. It wasn't as hard as it sounds. Just takes a leetle longer to dry

I brush mine with a hard brush before i put mine in the washing machine. I have quite abit of it too. its in their double htuch on all the floors and in a 4ftx3ft run that is attached. so when I clean them out I have to do 2/3 washes. I have a 2nd set i put down thoguh.

wish I could use it but have so many runs and the girls is so big, although maybe i could have 2 bits in it, but then i would need a 2nd set it would cost me a fortune, I just use it in my plastic cage for medical reasons

Is there a pic of your sheds Michelle i cant remeber if ive seen them just love to see them and all your pigs, we couldnt have vet bed my mum wouldnt like me using the washing machine fore it

think i have some pics of my sheds will sort some out for you to see, on the photo posting

just done it also added a pic of floo and artie

Cool, thanks they are so amaziny Harry and Zubin would be jealous

Had to give up vet bed after a couple of weeks because of the washing machine ;D

Mine goes in the machine as normal. It goes on a 50* fast wash or a 40* dark wash. One non-bio tab and softner.
I hang it out on the line to dry in the summer but ti tumble dries just fine in winter.

If you are concerned at hay build up, I find I have no problems because:

a) I vacuum poops off the VB;
b) I shake, beat and brush all VB outside after I have clean the cage;
c) I use the rinse and spiun setting to give the drum a quick clean.

No problems even after 8 months of constant VB and fleece use.

You can hand wash but it gets heavy. It takes a while to get used to handling the weight and scrubbing the VB, and it takes up a fair amount of your time.

My problem is I live in seocnd floor flat with no garden, so it really isn't easy to shake it out and I can't hang it on a line to dry. Anything that isn't spun dry has to hang over the bath!

The VB definitely caused the washing machine to jam!

i put my VB on a 40/60 and once a month 90 wash. once they come out they are nearly dry. I have been using fro mi=onths now and (touch wood) havent had a problem.

I'm glad my hubby isn't reading this or I would be banned from using the washing machine ;D I usually just brush and shake it then pop it in. I will try the pillowcase now though ;)

Hi guys this is changing the topic a little bit, has anyone Vet bed become less absorbent, I have some large pieces one white with green backing and the other is a dark biege colour with brown backing.

I used it the last few times I had nursing mums and litters and I felt that after 2 days it felt damp on top ? ?

was changing every 1/3 day was that enough, the litters were 5 + mum

thanks again

Karen ?

have you tried putting the vet bed inside a pillow case in the washing machine, that might stop the fluff clogging the washing machine up,
That is a great tip Michelle- great for cuddle cups etc too... would you mind if I added it to my bedding page? Might save a few other peoples washing repir bills, marriages... lol :D

of course you can add it to your bedding page if only I could put vet bed in my runs but they are much too big the poor washing machine would collapse, I'll have to make do with my medical piece of vet bed that fits in the plastic medical cage.

Hubby didn't want piggies in the first place - he would really thank me for breaking the washing machine ::)

I give the pieces a quick vacuum and then throw them in the washer. I wipe the machine out after with kitchen roll and then vacuum it over with the dustbrush attachment :D

I tried a pillowcase but the pieces came out - mine are cut small though so maybe that was the problem?

I have newspaper all over the cage and then megazorb with vetbed on top in litter trays. Might have to review this set up for the girlies.

Its fleecy fabric bedding that is designed to use in Vets, or for animals who have had operations. It draws urine away from the surface & away from the pigs to the news paper underneath. People are now using this either to line their whole cage instead of megazorb, medibed, straw etc or to line the sleeping/hiding area/houses and not just when their animals are ill.

Its fab stuff if you can wash it

They sell it on ebay and Bunny basics have it too I think

just wondering about the earlier question snugglypig asked:

how often do you have to change it? in the case of five guinea pigs it was damp after 2 days apparently..

And the bottom layer of the vetbed doesnt absorb the moisture, only the newspaper does, all the vetbed does is let the urine etc sink through?

Do you just have to change the newspaper on every-second-day basis and only wash the vetbed once a week? Or do you have to chuck everything out every third day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back