• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

WASTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowny

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What do you do with your waste? I have 4 guineas and 2 rabbits and 5 cats. I have a wheelie bin and every week its full of animal waste alone. My husband has to do tip runs every week of household rubbish. I note some postings refer to having loads more animals than me - what do you do with your waste? I am currently looking into fostering and know its something that bothers my husband. I did approach the Council and ask for a larger wheelie bin (if I had 4 kids I would get one - obviously animals don't count) and they told me to burn the animal waste in my garden ::) - my neighbours would love me if I did that >:(Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

we just chuck ours in black bags into the green wheelie bins and any extra goes in more black bags at the side,thats what we pay our council tax for I guess,but I know what you mean,we have loads too and usual household waste is either sneaked into mums works skip or next doors bin ( which he doesnt mind) or just piled like I say at the side

I bag mine up into bin bags and used to put them in the wheelie bin but now we take them to the farm and dump it there :)

Kat

Black bags and many trips to the tip :o

I have a green wheelie bin and its says rabbit/gp hay/straw/sawdust can go in there so am tempted to put it in. But what about the newspaper i used to line the bottoms of pens in!

Does everyone else put the paper in too if they use green bin?

Deb x

I use fleece and glad I do! Our bins have gone to being emptied every 2 weeks and with no car I'd have been stuffed

We put the dirty hay/poo/uneaten food in the compost bin. We are fortunate to have an open fireplace indoors and we are able to burn the newspaper. (We usually do it at night to avoid annoying the neighbours) The resultant ash is then dug into the ground - we are on clay and the ash helps to break it up.
For anybody who has cats as well as piggies - we use the cheapest peat-free compost we can find instead of purpose-made cat litter, and that also goes in the compost bin when it is dirty. It is much lighter than the purpose-made stuff, so tends to get spread around the room more and also is less absorbent. But for us, these drawbacks are more than made up for by being compostable instead of having to go to landfill.

we use the cheapest peat-free compost we can find instead of purpose-made cat litter

thats interesting, we use clumping cat litter and its such a pain. Might try that instead. ! :) thats a good idea.

I would love a compost bin, but have no where to site it at the moment, when have access to top garden its going to be easier to have one.

Deb x

I only have one boyfriend and two piggies atm, yet they make enough dirt for my bin to be full completely to the point of me considering hopping into it and jumping up and down to make more room...

how do people with more pets (and even additional kids) cope? O_O

in germany, you have to pay for additional bins, which i think is fair enough, if you have more waste then you can fit into the one they give to you, then pay to have more bins. is something like that available in the uk too?

We have a green bin for garden waste and a black box for newspapers. I seperate the newspaper and put that in the box and the hay goes in the green bin. However, we're not actually allowed to put the hay in the green bin as it is animal waste. Well, yes it is but it's hardly toxic is it? ::) Well it goes in anyway and they take it away every week and I haven't been arrested for contanimation yet ;D

Mind you, we're not even allowed to recycle cardboard or plastic either. And we have compulsory recycling here ?

:o Everything goes into the green bin. Asked my council if I could have a second bin and was told NO >:( I was told to black bin it AND TAKE IT UP THE DUMP ! I`m willing to recycle, BUT can`t ! >:( I have to make lots of trips up my dump instead.

Diane

We seperate plastic bottles and cardboard, keep them in the garage in bags until we have enough, and then bring them to the dump seperately from putting out our bins.

we also have a green bin for normal stuff plus peed on newspaper, and just the bedding and hay going into the brown garden waste bin - and still we are always too full! :o

Because me and Steve own a van, we would be charged if we went to the dump with our rubbish.

thing is in some carparks they have special containers for you to throw plastic bottles in, quite handy as we mostly drink orange squash. I am sure it doesnt matter if you drive there with a van?

I suppose with the proper dump though and cardboard they might think you are commercial and therefore wont want your stuff...

is it too far to walk there? with a few carrier bags full of your share of cereal boxes and stuff?

Yes it's a good 4 miles away. I have trouble walking for 4 minutes let alone 4 miles.

I also think that if the council are going to make recycling compulsory and fine us £1,000 they should make it easier for us to do it. We pay enough council tax for goodness sake!

All the piggy waste goes into the compost bins,I've just ordered two more because in the winter the waste doesn"t shrink quickly like it does in the summer :(

Our council will only take 3 bin bags of household rubbish a week so i have to do weekly trips to the tip with rabbit, guinea pig rubbish. I've got 7 guinea pigs, 3 rabbits, 4 hamsters and 2 rats so just cleaning them out can take 3-4 bin bags at a time! Lucily we have a tip very local to us so its not a problem to get rid of!

Julie

I compost some of mine but the majority of it gets picked up by a man who has an allotment. He said that he gives some of it away to his allotment neighbour who is always pleased for it to go in his compost pile. The ammonia helps it break down & the poo is a fab fertiliser. I just leave it in a particular place in the garden in a bin bag & when he is passing he picks it up. Quite a cool arrangement on both sides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back