• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Water bottle Vs Water Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosehip

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm having a problem with Shane and her water bottle, in that she kills them! I dont know how she does it, as the balls dont get wedged, and they dont leak, she just doesnt seem to be able to make them work for longer than a week!
If I swap her bottle with Squirrels, they he can work hers, but his them packs in...are you following?!
I was wondering if a bowl would be better for her to lap at, as I'm worried she isnt getting the water she needs?
What do you guys think? xx

I always use bowls for my rabbits and guineas. I just dont feel bottles can be cleaned as thouroughly and dont feel they get enough. Imagine being so thirsty and only being able to sip tiny bits of water. Only down fall is they do put things in it so it is cleaned 3 or more times a day. Easier if they were on fleeces though. My rabbits keep their water spotless.

Thanks Mrs Moo, I think I will swap them both over, even though Squirrel seems to be quite happy with his bottle. xx

i have both, but i use a bird water dish so it hooks on the side of the cage. some of my piggies prefer to dish some the bottle but its their choice.

the dish does need cleaning out more often!

Hey thats a brilliant idea! I'll give that a go!
Shane has had a bowl before and was quite happy with it so I'm sure she will be fine again - will pop and get her a birdie bowl tomorrow :-) xx

my gerbils have a small stainless steel bowl wonder if they would let Bertie try it? probably not..:(|)

Interesting thread.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but everytime I try my piggys with a water bowl, they look at it, walk in it, sniff it......basically do everything and anything but actually drink from it.

I agree with all the reasons on why water bowls are better, but just cant seem to train my piggys unfortunately :0

Mine had a bottle to start with, but they never seemed to drink from it. I put bowls out for them now, and I've seen them dinking, although I have to change it a few times a day because they make such a mess. They seem to enjoy throwing their nuggets into the water (perhaps it makes a tasty nugget soup? Who knows...)

My pigs have always had water bottles in there cage. For awhile I put a bowl under the bottle and they peed/pooped in it.
When they go outside to eat grass I give the a shallow tub (about 5-7 cm tall and fairly wide, big enough for a pig to sit in) or water.

Personally I find water bottles easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back