Water Bottles Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My guinea Pigs live outside, their cages are under the car port so their undercover from the rain and snow etc, but not from the cold and their water bottles keep freezing in the night; this would be sorta ok if you could thore the bottles out quickly, but i tried poring hot water into the bottles and it just cracks them, meaning i'm having to leave the bottles to thore out in warm water and this can take all day sometimes!
I'v had to go out and buy some more water bottles so at least they can have water whilst the other are thoring out, but mean they don't have any during the night.

Dose anyone have any ideas of what i can do?...
(I'm NOT putting hot water into the bottles, to me this idea is stupid, as the guinea pigs will be drinking hot water and it'll still freeze when the water goes cold)
Iv just wrapped them all in bubble wrap tonight to see if that will work, but if it dosn't i need a back up XD
Any suggestions?

slackalice2k

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm having the same problems even my shed piggers are getting frozen water bottles, I'm trying old socks over them and they're all covered up with blankets, duvets and tarps and I've refilled the bottles three times today. I defrost the spouts under my hot tap and run hot water into them to defrost, I've got 9 water bottles and the only one that's cracked was when my dd hit it against the wall this morning. I had told her to hit the wall with the rabbit's extra bowl of water this morning and she thought the same applied to the bottles.rolleyes

I'm putting about a third cooled boiled water in, reason being it keeps the water flowing long enough for them to get a good drink, and warms them from the inside too.

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone is interested but if any of you live near a primark they do 2 pairs of ladies thermal socks for £2.50.
I bought one pack and cut the socks in half so It's made 8 covers and they're lovely and toasty since putting them on friday the bottles haven't fully frozen (only chunks of ice in the bottles but water can still get past).
They really are warm as I've bought a pack to wear with my wellies and my oldest daughter has 3 packs which she constantly has on her feet lol.

Romily

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have had thermal socks and an hutch hugger bottle cover over mine and the bottles are still freezing! Not the piggies ones as they are in the shed but the bunnies ones I am really struggling to keep warm!

Status
Not open for further replies.