• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Water Bottles Vs. Water Bowls

What do you use for your piggies?

• I use a Water bottle

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • I use a Water bowl

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kkschmitz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, I just wanted to see what everyone prefers. I have a water bottle, but mine leaks CONSTANTLY so I need to look into a new one/a quality one... Any suggestions? Keep in mind that I do live in the USA. Which do you use/prefer? Have you tried both? What issues have you run into with either?

I use both. And both changed daily. I use both incase one of the piggies don't see the water bottle poking through the hole.

Last edited:
I have a glass bottle at present and it never leaks. I went through loads of bottles when I first got my piggies though so I know how annoying it is. Mines is a 'kaytee' bottle, not sure if it's available it US. It has 2 metal balls in the spout rather than 1 which helps prevent leaking. I also found that filling the bottle right to the top and putting the lid on prevent excess air getting in a somehow helps to prevent it leaking (someone told me this and I couldn't see how it would work but I found that it does work)

I tried a bowl with my piggies before but they never looked at it. Not sure if they knew what it as for and bits of bedding kept getting into it so wasn't clean.

I use a crystal deluxe bunny size water bottle, never leaked (touch wood) and is still nice and clean.

I wouldn't personally use a bowl as I'd imagine it would need changing multiple times a day as it would get messy quickly and probably tipped over (it would with my two boys anyway!) I use the ferplast bottle which came with the cage and can't say there's been any problems with it!

I uses water bowls first but they had to be changed a few times a day because of poops, hay, bedding and soggy pellets floating in the water.
I was told guineaig pigs drink more from a bowl.
Then I used water bottles but it is annoying how they drip and get dirty easily and come with these flimsy buts of wire.
Edit : bits of wire :lol!:

I use water bottles as I work long hours so can't be around to the constant changes a bowl would need to stay clean and drinkable.

I use bottles, we no longer have problems with wires because we use the velcro cable ties, the kind of thing below. I put two on and then just join them. We use the same things for our hay bags, my Mum got them for me when she made the hay bags, she thought it was be easier to attached the bags with, I then decided to try them with the water bottles. You just have to make sure they are long enough to attached together and fit the bottle in :)

http://www.qvsdirect.com/brennenstu...n=googlebase&gclid=COfTgbPRtsUCFRHLtAodbRYAaA

I bought a water bottle, but I don't think the girls used it, so I put a water bowl in instead. So far it hasn't tipped over, and very rarely have I found any hay/food/poo in it. They're bedded on fleece so there's no bedding to get in there. I change the water twice a day and they seem to be happy drinking from it. I'm pleased I decided on a bowl actually cause I hate how water bottles always drip!

I had a Kaytee bottle and was very pleased with it, so I bought three more. The other three dripped constantly and one dripped a lot, and then even the first one dripped and leaked out! I have some plastic cheapo ones but actually they're quite good. Sometimes I get one that doesn't work right, and I do get the occasional drip, but most work fine. These are called Classic Crystal Deluxe.
I have tried several brands and they all seem rather hit-and-miss.

I use crystal deluxe bottles and they work for me. The pigs used to have a bowl whilst out in their run but they didn't really use it.

I have a degu who can't use a bottle as he somehow empties the water all over his cage. He uses a bowl and I've never had any problems.

I had a plastic bottle at first, which Sweep would not touch. Tried him on a bowl, but he just thought it was something fun to splosh through!
So I bought a glass bottle that hangs inside the cage, and we've had no problems with it. I have no idea why he will drink from this, but not the plastic one. Maybe the water comes out easier from the spout or something? Not so easily that it leaks though!

Does anyone know if the glass ones are supposed to last longer? I used to be constantly replacing my rabbit's plastic one because of limescale build-up.

I have a glass bottle at present and it never leaks. I went through loads of bottles when I first got my piggies though so I know how annoying it is. Mines is a 'kaytee' bottle, not sure if it's available it US. It has 2 metal balls in the spout rather than 1 which helps prevent leaking. I also found that filling the bottle right to the top and putting the lid on prevent excess air getting in a somehow helps to prevent it leaking (someone told me this and I couldn't see how it would work but I found that it does work)
I've been having dripping problems recently too, although a few days ago I saw your post and tried filling them up right to the top. No more dripping, thank you. :)

We have drippy bottles, but put a small brick below them. As long as the spout of the bottle reaches out over the brick then the brick absorbs the drips. If the spout is too short the drips just go between the brick and the corex! The brick helps to keep the toenails worn down too.

I use bottles as all mine are used to it. I find that when the veg bowl goes in, it takes a matter of minutes before somepig has pooped in it so wouldn't fancy them doing that with a water bowl

I use bottles but when they are having floor time in the bathroom I use a bowl. Although Mrs Simpson did put a hay cookie in it the other day.

My piggies dont seem to be drinking much water..how much should they be drinking? I have 2 water bottles in their hutch & change daily or twice a day if its been warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back