• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Water Bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do some piggies just have a hard time drinking out of water bottles? I've observed my piggies drinking. S'mores does just fine, Nugget seems to struggle. He turns his head to the side, bits all over the bottle and just doesn't seem to be getting anything. He eats fine, so could this still be a tooth problem?

What can I do to make sure he's getting water?

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My Max "makes a meal" out of drinking from his water bottle. Max turns his head to one side and mouths the nozzle. If I am nearby, I can see a small amount of water going into his mouth. If I am a distance away , I watch the bottle and, when I see a small air bubble rise, I know he's had some water.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggys use a water bowl. Score we got them they were using a water bottle but I never saw them using it. Now they lap it up and someone said to me that they actually drink more from a water bowl. The only downside is the piggys kick bedding, hay and piggy poos in it.

Reaction score
One of mine presses it with his teeth and more goes on the floor than in his mouth;-)

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm sticking to using bottles because that's whsat my guinea pigs are used to . Regular water changes are essential though. I check their bottles morning and evening and change the water at least once daily.

Sar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've thought this as the water never seems to go down much.

If I hear them near it, I look for a bubble so then I know that they're getting some from it. Biscuit seems to drink from it more, from what I've seen but I think Fudge drinks from it when there is no one nearby as I saw her yesterday drinking from it when I was stood in the doorway.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My little man has his strange way of drinking down to a fine art!
View attachment 23564
Mine does that, she'll miss like every other drop but manages to get quite a lot of water. She's never drunk huge amounts of water but shes fine... No healthy problems (touch wood)! Obviously in summer in more of a problem because its hot and they need to keep hydrated! But i'd just keep an eye out? Sometimes there isn't always bubbles even though i've just seen her get a drink from it. You can give them cucumber daily as well if your worried about the amount of fluid he is getting, then you know at least he's managed to get some fluid down him from the cucumber. My Amber has a slice of cucumber every night before I go to bed. Also he might drink a lot at night too, maybe mark the water bottle before you go to bed and see how much it goes down?! I know you have two but at least you'd get a rough estimate, if there's a lot of water being drunk at night, the chances are its both of them, not just one.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Sometimes he just looks like he's struggling, but maybe he's just making it more complicated than it should be LOL. I think I'll try to see if I can tell if he's getting any and maybe have him eat some cucumber.

Reactions: A&T
Status
Not open for further replies.