• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Water bottles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How long do you think a water bottle lasts? In other words, when should you replace them? Mine is fine, and clean, but I wondered if it is healthier to get a new one every so often.

As long as you keep them clean and they show no signs of wear and tear I don't think they have a life span really.

Some of my pigs are very tough on their bottles and get through them very rapidly but others like my old gent Ted have had theirs fo years.

I disinfect regularly and use dry rice to clean any algae from inside the bottles.

There is no algae.
What do you use to disinfect, Kate? I have only used very hot water.

I use Milton diluted very weak - if its good enough for babies its fine for pigs I reckon!

As to the dry rice just drop a couple of pinches into the bottle, add a couple of inches of water and shake it up! Tip it out into a drainer though or you end up with a sink full of rice!

i have had mine for 4 years and they still look brand new. i just clean them with the hutch stuff cleaner.

My lot get new ones about every other year due to them leaking and the spouts being chewed!

The rice thing sounds really good, will have to give it a go. The bit they drink from never seems to look chewed or mishaped but they still leak! tut dont make them like they used to, we have gone through a fair few... its craters babies that are the problem, Crater hasnt taught them the proper way to drink so it sounds like a machine gun.

And Scarby and Rocky!

Agree with Luke, they don't appear chewed but always leaking, especially in cars!

I buy G&M a new water bottle every year. That's rather obsessive isn't it? I clean them thoroughly too with a bottle brush that has a special attachment for the spout.

Willie has had the same water bottle for like forever it seems. He isn't a chew needless to say he doesn't ever chew a hole in or around them causing them to leak.. However, now that I have said this he'll probably do something to a water bottle this weekend right? However, he does have a few different bottles that I rotate every once in a while. I like the rice idea though and may give that a try sometime too. Thanks for the idea... 8)

everytime I drop one, they don't bounce ;D ;D ;D

I usually renew every year, unless like I said I drop them

karen

Tried the rice thing the other day - not that there is any algae, but as a precaution

I tried the rice thing and I had to get a tooth brush to get the rice back out :D
Made a mess.. Mum wasn't too pleased ;D

Luke tried the rice thing a couple of days a go and he said it worked.... To get the rice out of the bottle just keep rinsing it out! anim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back