• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Water for bladder stones

Poppiespigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to ask about water. I’m currently using a brita filter for my boys water as one recently had a bladder stone. We also have reverse osmosis water for our marine fish tank. Is the reverse osmosis water better in terms of low calcium?

Also the boys are due to go to their holiday home soon for a week. They will still be in a hard water area and the place looking after them doesn’t routinely use a water filter. So I’m thinking to buy bottled water for them to use but not sure which water to get. Any help much appreciated 🙂

RO does remove calcium.
You do also have to be careful that you don’t take calcium intake too low though as too low intake is just as bad for them as too high

Hi I live in a hard water area and use either Tesco Ashbeck water (NB *not* similar looking Elmhurst) or Sainsbury's Chase Spring water and my pig have had no bladder issues since using these.

Hi I live in a hard water area and use either Tesco Ashbeck water (NB *not* similar looking Elmhurst) or Sainsbury's Chase Spring water and my pig have had no bladder issues since using these.
I agree, we use Tesco Ashbeck as one of the lowest calcium bottles waters around 👍

I agree, we use Tesco Ashbeck as one of the lowest calcium bottles waters around 👍
Out of interest, what is the calcium amount in this water, please?

I use the Lidl one and it's 40mgs per litre.

We do use the Zero Filter as well, but haven't been able to afford to buy a new filter for it, because apparently it doesn't last that long and it's quite expensive which is a shame, because the Zero Filters remove calcium from the water (as well as other minerals and obviously, chemicals).

It's ok, I've just looked it up and it's only 14mgs, which is so much lower than the Lidl one!

So looks like it's a trip to Tesco tomorrow, even though I hate the store personally, was right near one today, and have to travel a bit of a distance to get to another one.😒😫 But got to do the best for our piggies haven't we! 🥰

So out of curiosity, is Tesco ashbeck better than brita filter?
Yes, I don't think brita filter removes very much calcium. Zero-water filter removes everything, but they are quite expensive. I used that during lockdown when I couldn't get bottled. I recently tried switching from bottled to a refillable phox filter, boiling the water and letting it cool before filtering it to remove more calcium. However my bladder-sensitive pig reacted very badly so I had to go back to the ashbeck/chase spring.

It’s gobsmacking how much the calcium content varies in bottled water. Always worth checking the labels. Good to hear that the Tesco Ashbeck one is the lowest

Back