Waterproof liner or not?

TwoKidsTwoPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to get fleece liners for my guinea pigs, but am unsure whether to get the with a waterproof base or not. I am very new to this and despite googling and reading A LOT, I'm still not sure which to go for. Can anyone advise what is best? My cage is a 120l cage with a plastic base. If I get a fleece liner without waterproof base, do I need to put anything under the fleece? How often do people wash theirs? I've read 3 days on some sites and 5 days on others. Thank you in anticipation!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You need something underneath the fleece to absorb the wee. It’s up to you whether you get one with a waterproof base or buy fleece and use something underneath.

I can usually stretch my liners to 7 days because I use bath mats on top. Otherwise it’s roughly every 5 days. It depends how wet or dirty it gets.

BoredBellaaa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to get fleece liners for my guinea pigs, but am unsure whether to get the with a waterproof base or not. I am very new to this and despite googling and reading A LOT, I'm still not sure which to go for. Can anyone advise what is best? My cage is a 120l cage with a plastic base. If I get a fleece liner without waterproof base, do I need to put anything under the fleece? How often do people wash theirs? I've read 3 days on some sites and 5 days on others. Thank you in anticipation!
Hi! I wash my fleece every 3 days, I think it just really depends how much you spot clean, how many pigs you have, whether you have boars or sows. I’d recommend a waterproof fleece, they are EXTREMELY helpful and reduce smell and urine/water leakage. If you decide to go with a regular liner, I’d put an old towel under it, it’s optional, but it helps! Hope this advice helped a bit! :))

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have fleece liners (custom made) that have absorbent layers inside (some liners have Zorb, others have wadding, another have wadding and waterproof layer inside). Absorbency depends really. Although I always put puppy pads underneath the liners anyway so I really don't worry much of any leaks or wet liners. Take note that piggies usually have areas where they pee a lot so I put some extra fleece lap pads on top and/or replace the liner every 2 days (I have a hutch with and attached C&C run at the bottom so I'm using multiple fleece liners and different day changes.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As the others have said, if you have proper liners then they have the absorbent layer sewn in but I personally would still put puppy pads underneath.
If you only have fleece blankets, then you will definitely need an absorbent layer underneath such as puppy pads.

In a 120cm cage you probably won’t get much usage before they need to be washed - a few days possibly. The more space they have in theory you can go a little longer before changing them but each cage set up is going to be different. You can use pee pads in high traffic areas as they can be changed out more frequently.

(You haven’t said whether your piggies are boars or sows, but a 120cm cage if they are two boars is too small in itself (they need a 180cm x 60cm cage to prevent problems between them))

Piggy_novice

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I use washable pet incontinence pads with fleece on top, I also use washable bobble bath mats in areas they pee and poo most often (under tunnels and by beds). The bath mats get changed every couple of days and main fleece and pad every 4/5 days. We have a big cage for 2 board though so they’re not pooing in one small area all the time. Daily poo sweep is still needed.
I also use a big hay tray with wooden cat litter or shaving under the hay, hay changed daily and base layer every 4 days or so.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I made my own fleece liners but they have an absorbent inner - and i used to pop a disposable puppy pad underneath but nothing ever got through the liner as it was 3 layers...