• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Watery Diarrhea, Yellowish Mucus (with Blood)

Jitka czech

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I need to advise. A week ago, my guinea pig discontinued treatment with antibiotics (metronidazole combination enrofloxaci +). At the end of the week she got mad diarrhea. Today it is very watery stools, covered in mucus (in which the piece of blood), fart. I do not know whether it is giardia, other parasites or bacteria. The test results would only be 6 days, so it must be solved right now. I can not wait for the results.

I was with a guinea pig at 2 vets. One said let me put marbofloxacin (5 mg .... the guinea pig had only 700 g), the other advised metronidazole. Marbofloxacin and metronidazole my home, but I do not know, who am I to try. A larger guinea pig expert is the first veterinarian (advised by marbofloxacin), but the other vet said that the problem could be caused by clostridium bacteria and it is said to be metronidazole. The third vet on the phone said that marbocyl and when it does not help to add metronidazole. I do not know, I'm afraid that guinea pig diarrhea still offended when I give the wrong antibiotics ........

What do you think? Perhaps I am inclined to the opinion of the first vet

We're you advised to give a pro biotic?
What is your pigs eating !ie dried food? Thimathy hay?
What if any fruit and vegetables have you been giving?

You need to get the test sent off, then you will know for definite in 6 days.

Why was your pig on antibiotics?

I apologize for English, it is not very good. The veterinarian ruled out food as a cause of diarrhea. Probiotics took the guinea pig all the time taking antibiotics (BIOLAPIS for rabbits + Protexin Professional) and now I am giving it too, but it does not help. Poops from other guinea pigs as well. I did not change the food - every day a lager cavia complete, grass, hay, a little carrot + celery root + paprika) ...... other guinea pigs do the same and are ok ........ .. this looks like an intestinal infection ........ does not want to eat (the first to eat diarrhea then food rejection, the teeth are fine), I give her extra food for rodent feeding (syringe) - rodicare instant, supreme recovery .. .... it does not work with diarrhea, on the contrary ... worse ....... I even gave SMECTA or black coal ...... is very puffy and there is enough mucus: - /

Yes, I will do the test tomorrow morning, but I still have to take the medication now, according to both vets, within 2 days the guinea pig might be dead. I can not wait for the results. I have to put either marbocyl or metronidazole now, and when it comes to the results, the drugs need to be changed. But without drugs I can not leave her now.

Antibiotics took on the airways (very bad) - but breathing is fine now, healed. When she took antibiotics, she did not have diarrhea, 5 days after antibiotics were taken off, diarrhea started. I do not get it.

Antibiotics took on the airways (very bad) - but breathing is fine now, healed. When she took antibiotics, she did not have diarrhea, 5 days after antibiotics were taken off, diarrhea started. I do not get it.

The diarrhea can be a reaction to the antibiotic or an infection that is resulting from a lowered immune system after a serious illness.

Please keep your guinea pig alive with syringe feed and water until she gets better.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Back