• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

watery urine and discomfort

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I mentioned a couple months back about my Mini. She was in some discomfort whenever she had a bowel movement at that time, but she seemed to recover on her own after a short time. Last week, she began making noises again when she was in her toilet, and started wheezing loudly afterward. Her behaviour has mostly been the same, but except for these symptoms.
My wife and I took her to the vet, who found that her urine was watery and low-density, and he diagnosed her with a possible kidney infection and prescribed some antibiotics. The wheezing, which has not happened again, the vet suspects as her being in pain. Thankfully it isn't a respiratory problem! We will visit the vet in a week to see how she is progressing.
Just thought I would share the info.

Laure

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi there,

I am sorry that your pig is not well.

I have never heard of low dencity urine I have to say. Isn't urine meant to me watery?

It sounds like your piggy has a UTI (urinary (sp?) track infection).

Do you know what antibiotics you have been prescribed and t what dosage? Someone here should be able to advise you on this.

Lx

Joey&Gizmo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hope that she gets better soon and hopefully the antibiotics will sort her out.

Ive had a similar problem with one of my pigs and hes had 2 xrays to check for stones, but luckily there hasn't been any. The only thing that showed up was that he had arthritis in his knees and its advancing so we have upped his metacam now. This is what we think the squeaking is when he wees, as pigs have to crouch a little when weeing and the pain from his arthritis is making him squeak.

If the antibiotics dont work i would have a xray just to be sure and you could also syringe her water to flush the bladder. x x x

Reaction score
Hi Laure,

The urine is supposed to be liquid, but almost white and viscous. Mini's has been almost clear like water. She has been drinking a lot more water than normal, which explains this symptom. The antibiotic is ChlorPalm and she is given a dosage of .07 cc's twice a day.

It's been two days since seeing the vet, and Mini has shown no signs of discomfort, so I think the medicine is working!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good news! I hope that she can keep it up and recover well.

Drinking lots also helps flushing out any bacteria.

Reaction score
Hi Wiebke,
Funny thing is that before we took Mini to the vet, she was drinking a lot more water, so she was probably in the process of flushing herself out. She's doing great right now and seems back to her old self!

Reaction score
After a week on meds, Mini is definitely feeling better. Her behaviour has returned to normal, and she doesn't seem to be in any pain. However, the vet looked at her urine sample from this week and apparently it is still diluted, which could indicate further kidney problems. But her improvement with the meds may suggest that whatever it is could be just in the process of healing, so we are going to keep up with the meds for another week. Here's hoping for the best.

hot fox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my girls has started squeaking when weeing, can I ask, did you give your girlie pro-biotics and which meds were you given?

Reaction score
The vet gave an antibiotic called ChlorPalm, and I give her 0.7 ccs twice a day. Mini showed improvement in her behaviour within two days. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.