weather for guineapigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i need some help i've put my guinea pigs out in there hutch this morning with plenty of hay to hide it, but is it warm enough for them :{

Reaction score
What temperature is it where you are? Is it dry? It's important they don't get wet. I think fluctuations in temperatures is most dangerous for them, like if it's really cold outside and then they are brought in to a really warm house, can be a shock to their wee systems. Lots of people on here have been having theirs out this week so I'm sure you are fine xox

Guinea pig slave

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I read somewhere that a minimum temp. should be 17 degrees outdoors for piggies. I haven't put mine out as yet - hoping it will get warmer soon 8)

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine were out yesterday but not until after 1pm as I was at work earlier. Don't know if it might still be a bit nippy first thing for the piggies if they are used to a cosy house.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that a minimum temp. should be 17 degrees outdoors for piggies. I haven't put mine out as yet - hoping it will get warmer soon 8)

:o really, wow, my old herd of piggies were out year round in their shed with access to outside at all times. inside the shed they had loads of chinchilla nest boxes, the wooden ones from p@h, they loved them filled with hay to snuggle in, they would climb in usually 2 to a box, and they had a hutch filled with hay too to keep them warm. one of them used to love, and i mean adore, coming out when it had snowed, and she would popcorn all around in it, burying her nose and racing about. she would then pop back into the shed for half an hour and be back out again! the others would poke their noses out, but she was a very odd pig :)) this was her when i caught her out there one day :)) my beautiful girl, sadly she was attacked by a dog and killed. she was boss pig of the herd and my favourite by far, it took me a long time to come to terms with losing her.

SP_A0843.jpg

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:o really, wow, my old herd of piggies were out year round in their shed with access to outside at all times. inside the shed they had loads of chinchilla nest boxes, the wooden ones from p@h, they loved them filled with hay to snuggle in, they would climb in usually 2 to a box, and they had a hutch filled with hay too to keep them warm. one of them used to love, and i mean adore, coming out when it had snowed, and she would popcorn all around in it, burying her nose and racing about. she would then pop back into the shed for half an hour and be back out again! the others would poke their noses out, but she was a very odd pig :)) this was her when i caught her out there one day :)) my beautiful girl, sadly she was attacked by a dog and killed. she was boss pig of the herd and my favourite by far, it took me a long time to come to terms with losing her.

Yours were used to outside and had a cosy shed :) so I'm sure they were fine with it

But if they're not used to outside, then I would just wait til the frost has gone away in the mornings, and then put them out maybe at about 10 or 11am. :)

Reaction score
ah yes, i understand that, i just thought 17* seemed high, but i guess straight from a heated house to outside that would make sense :)

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ah yes, i understand that, i just thought 17* seemed high, but i guess straight from a heated house to outside that would make sense :)

It seems high to me too :) But I always try to think, if I had to stay outside for hours and I wasn't used to it, what temp would I want it to be :))

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Dampness, drafts and big fluctuations in day/night temperatures is what you have to look out for.

How soon you can put your piggies out also depends on at which temperatures your piggies have been kept over the winter. If they have been kept at lower temperatures, they are able to go out sooner than if they have been kept in a fully heated place. Give them time to acclimatise slowly! It is the initial period when they are at their most vulnerable.

Mine are strict indoors piggies sharing our living room, so I only put them out on the lawn when it is dry and warm for me to stand on the lawn with bare feet and I leave them only for as long as these conditions apply. I have become somewhat cautious after a few spates of URI when I left them out just that little bit too long.

Reaction score
Mine were brought in from the very cold winter and have been living indoors with me since I 'rescued' them.

They have been in their outdoor hutch this week although I did bring them in at 5pm once the sun had left my garden!

Doeylicious

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

My house isn't even 17 degress in winter, the thermostat read around 14 when it was really cold :{

Reaction score
I'm not 100% as to what tempreture it was but it was warm enough for me to be in a t-shirt and me warm so i thought they'd be fine. they were in there hutch with plenty of hay to snuggle in if they did get a little chilly, my guinea pigs are around 7 months id say but used to very warm conditions such as my bedroom aha:D

Status
Not open for further replies.