Weather

Mich Smith

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We are new to caring for guniea pigs and have only had ours for a few months. Its turned cold outside and I'm unsure if it I need to bring our piggies into the warmth yet. Do you think this weather is ok for them to be outside still?
Thank you.

eileen

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
some of my piggies are outside.ive put snuggle safe heat pads in,and loads of hay .put some fleece cosies in.I'm going to monitor the temps for a week.15 degrees temp is the ideal temps.if you can bring them inside that is the best option.mine are used to being outside all year round.

Piggylove82

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Mine are outside in a double storey hutch. I've started putting their perspex windows on their mesh doors and snuggle safes under their pet beds, one per pig. Just so they have the choice. It also depends on the ages of your pigs what's OK for adult pigs might be too cool for baby pigs.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
When night times get below 15 degrees, then it can start to be too chilly for them.

Mine live in a hutch in my shed and are out there year round (although i always have a plan to bring them in if it gets too cold). It obviously means they have the protection of the shed so they aren’t exposed to wind or rain and it is usually slightly warmer in the shed but keeping them warm takes work! I use snugglesafes under their hideys, several blankets over the hutch and a thermal hutch cover as well as filling the hutch completely with hay.