• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Weeds - is chickweed good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MellyWelly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm just doing some weeding in the garden and have loads, what I think is, Chickweed - can guineas eat this?

found this on guinea lynx
Here is a sample of the vegetables and fruits the author provides each of her guinea pigs daily, along with unlimited high quality hay and plain pellets PRINT (edited version):

Grass, between a handful to several handfuls, more in the warmer months
Green pepper, 1/8 to 1/4 of whole pepper
Romaine lettuce, one or two large leaves, sometimes more
Tomato, wedge of large tomato or small Roma tomato
Carrot (baby), one small
Occasional vegetables:

--- Broccoli leaves (tiny) and peeled broccoli stem
--- Chinese Cabbage (pak-choi), one leaf
--- Corn silks and husks when in season
--- Parsley, one or more sprigs
--- Forages like chickweed, dandelions, and young clover

Fruit (a couple fruits per day from this list):

--- Apple, thin wedge, no seeds
--- Apricot, dried, a couple raisin-sized pieces
--- Banana, 1/4" round slice
--- Blueberries, several
--- Cantaloupe, 1"X 2"piece with washed rind
--- Grapes or Raisins (not both), one or two
--- Orange, one slice
--- Strawberries
--- Watermelon, 1" X 2" piece with washed rind

You may not be able to add forages to your pigs diet, but they are a welcome addition for those of us who can. Grass is a major part of my pigs' diet, especially in spring and fall when it is most plentiful and tasty. I try to provide some grass every day but take a break when there is snow cover. Chickweed, young clover, young plantain and especially dandelion (another favorite) are other popular forages, especially welcome when young and tender. See Forages for more information on how to find nutritious weeds and grasses.

Remember: Don't feed anything you wouldn't eat yourself (i.e. no spoiled food) and rinse food thoroughly. And if you choose to provide grass or other forages, avoid areas next to busy roadsides or those frequented by dogs or livestock. Select clean, pesticide-free plants that show no signs of mildew or disease -- the younger, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back