• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight Loss - Enough To Be Concerned About?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pippy & Daisy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I weighed the girls this morning and have noticed that Daisy has lost some weight - about 37 grams (weight fluctuated as she wriggled on the scales so 37g was about average). Last time I weighed her (which was actually two weeks ago, not last week) she was 1185g and this week she was 1148g (though the scales read from anywhere between 1144 and 1158 as she moved so it's a bit hard to tell). Is this something I should be concerned about? I've called the vets but they're fully booked today except for emergencies and I don't think this counts as an emergency. I'm going to start weighing her daily and will take her in if she keeps losing but I'm not sure if this loss is a worry already. I know she could have just had a big wee or something, it's just that her weight is usually very consistent - although they did get weighed today a bit later than usual. I read on here that it's really only a big problem if it's over 50g which is obviously not the case but I do want to keep an eye on her.

She is acting completely normal otherwise. She was a bit jumpy this morning and wasn't pigging out like usual, but it's really windy today and Pippy has been aggravating her a bit. Once I closed the windows and Pip settled down Daisy started eating and has calmed down and now seems perfectly normal so I don't think that behaviour is really a worry.

However, I don't know if it's relevant or not, but Pippy has actually put on just over 20g since she last got weighed so I'm even considering the possibility that she's been hogging the pellets and veggies and Daisy has been getting less and this could potentially explain the weight loss?

Edit: I have also noticed that as it's been getting colder they have been drinking a lot less water, which happened last winter as well, so I wonder if that could contribute. I've made an appointment for Wednesday which I'll cancel if her weight improves, and have also booked both in for a checkup next Saturday.

Thanks

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I would only start worrying if it is 50g or more. ;)

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would not be concerned with that amount of weight loss as piggies weights can fluctuate a lot! 30g can be the difference in a full/empty bladder. It's also best to weigh them at the same time each day as there can be a difference in their weight in the morning compared to their weight in the evening. I would only be contacting the vet if her weight continues to decrease daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.