• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight loss on long course of Baytril

Wizzy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As many of you are aware (due to the endless posts and questions, sorry about that!) my guinea pigs have been on antibiotics for quite a while now for a uri, Pepper is on her 5th week and Rexy on her 4th. Recovery is slow and seems to be up and down. Pepper’s breathing is better than it was but still is quite audible and worse than rexys, who’s only symptom remaining is a runny nose. They’ve both been doing considerably well considering the long course but what i’ve noticed within the past 2 days is weight loss, especially in Pepper. I’m with them constantly so they’re both still eating hay, but Pepper has lost 48g, and Rexy has lost 39g. Is this anything to be concerned about? Peppers weight especially seems to be very up and down, the week before last she lost weight but then regained it. They get lots of veggies, unlimited hay and a tablespoon of pellets each. Both are still drinking normally. I’m really hoping this all clears up soon :(

As many of you are aware (due to the endless posts and questions, sorry about that!) my guinea pigs have been on antibiotics for quite a while now for a uri, Pepper is on her 5th week and Rexy on her 4th. Recovery is slow and seems to be up and down. Pepper’s breathing is better than it was but still is quite audible and worse than rexys, who’s only symptom remaining is a runny nose. They’ve both been doing considerably well considering the long course but what i’ve noticed within the past 2 days is weight loss, especially in Pepper. I’m with them constantly so they’re both still eating hay, but Pepper has lost 48g, and Rexy has lost 39g. Is this anything to be concerned about? Peppers weight especially seems to be very up and down, the week before last she lost weight but then regained it. They get lots of veggies, unlimited hay and a tablespoon of pellets each. Both are still drinking normally. I’m really hoping this all clears up soon :(

Hi!

As both are on antibiotics, unfortunately you can't prop up the gut microbiome with 'poo soup' from the healthy companion (i.e. transfer of live healthy gut biome), which would be the easiest and most efficient way.
You can try probiotic powder from a pet shop as a stop gap measure or order some fibreplex, which is an alternative for guts that have been affected by antibiotics.

You can serve a pinch or two of probiotic powder mixed into some mushed up pellets twice daily; it goes down best when it is still just a little warm; this will prop up the gut and give your piggies some extra calories.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency

Hi!

As both are on antibiotics, unfortunately you can't prop up the gut microbiome with 'poo soup' from the healthy companion (i.e. transfer of live healthy gut biome), which would be the easiest and most efficient way.
You can try probiotic powder from a pet shop as a stop gap measure or order some fibreplex, which is an alternative for guts that have been affected by antibiotics.

You can serve a pinch or two of probiotic Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links
Hello and thank you! Is the fibreplex for rabbits the right one to order? Pepper has been popcorning just now and has eaten all the cucumber i gave her so hopefully she will regain the weight soon :)

I always give extravel nuggets and pro boptics if I have a poorly piggy

Hello and thank you! Is the fibreplex for rabbits the right one to order? Pepper has been popcorning just now and has eaten all the cucumber i gave her so hopefully she will regain the weight soon :)

Yes fibreplex is fine.

Do note though that eating cucumber, or any veg,, will not help the weight gain. Veg only makes up 15% of their daily diet so eating veg is very deceptive.
She needs to be eating plenty of hay to stabilise the tummy and gain weight.

Yes it is. There are very often no guinea pig specific products.

Yes fibreplex is fine.

Do note though that eating cucumber, or any veg,, will not help the weight gain. Veg only makes up 15% of their daily diet so eating veg is very deceptive.
She needs to be eating plenty of hay to stabilise the tummy and gain weight.
Thank you, i ordered it this morning. Pepper has put on 25g since yesterday and in tents of behaviour she’s completely back to normal and her breathing is a little bit better- still audible tho when i put her up to my ear.

Pepper and Rexy have gotten a bit worse today, with rexys chest not sounding too great and Peppers wheezing coming back. They have been on Baytril for about a month now, so we’re going to the vet if neither of them improve much at the end of the course. Is there some types of uris that don’t respond to Baytril? Are there options for a stronger antibiotic? They seem to get a bit better only to get worse again. However they both are better than they were at the beginning.

Pepper and Rexy have gotten a bit worse today, with rexys chest not sounding too great and Peppers wheezing coming back. They have been on Baytril for about a month now, so we’re going to the vet if neither of them improve much at the end of the course. Is there some types of uris that don’t respond to Baytril? Are there options for a stronger antibiotic? They seem to get a bit better only to get worse again. However they both are better than they were at the beginning.

It could be that the uri’s are resistant to baytril. There are other antibiotics you can try but wait until after the course of baytril has finished and see what your vet says unless they are clearly getting worse then see a vet sooner

It could be a matter of resistance - but in this case a lab test as to whether there are bacteria and what antibiotics they react to would be worth discussing with your vet as any further antibiotics will be unlicensed for guinea pigs and you'd be better off knowing what works rather than going through them by trial and error. There are several other antibiotics that are safe for guinea pigs - sulfatrim/septrin/bactrim; marbocyl; doxycycline; zithromax/azithromycin.

Otherwise you may discuss whether it is a URI or just a sensitivity to something (pollen, hay, dust etc.) and where to go from there with your vet.

It could be a matter of resistance - but in this case a lab test as to whether there are bacteria and what antibiotics they react to would be worth discussing with your vet as any further antibiotics will be unlicensed for guinea pigs and you'd be better off knowing what works rather than going through them by trial and error. There are several other antibiotics that are safe for guinea pigs - sulfatrim/septrin/bactrim; marbocyl; doxycycline; zithromax/azithromycin.

Otherwise you may discuss whether it is a URI or just a sensitivity to something (pollen, hay, dust etc.) and where to go from there with your vet.
Thank you! I wasn’t sure if it was a irritation as there was some yellowish crust around Peppers nose. They seem to get better and then worse again, so i will carry on with the current antibiotics to see how it goes

One more question, if she seems to be wheezing slightly (whistly breathing) and then has a sneeze and sounds fine again, is that just a case of hay dust up her nose?

Back