• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight Of Six Month Old Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick c

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, we have three boars and only started weighing them three weeks ago. By the next week they had all gained between 50 and 100 grams, but since then have remained the same. Ginger and Biscuit are 1.2kg, Butterscotch, who is a slimmer build is 1.1kg. None have lost weight and all seem happy and healthy, eating well, etc. I know they are still only teenagers, but have they reached their full size and weight?
Nick.

Hi, the ages are about right. Ginger was born on 24th november and Biscuit and Butterscotch on 3rd december.

I don't think they stop growing until they're over a year old :)

Hi Critter, that's what I thought, but I think/hope these three have stopped growing. Otherwise they are going to be very big boys!

Yes they are!
Ps just checked out your website - incredible business. We wonder where the time goes with day to day husbandry of a few pets, you must have 48 hours in every day. Story of our pets is here. http://babingleynick.weebly.com/were-definitely-not-having-pets.html

Hi Nick,

We are a charity, established in 2011. I can't claim credit for all the hard work - TEAS is actually based at Debbie's @furryfriends (TEAS) which is where much of the hands-on stuff happens. I am currently taking care of one of the TEAS temporary residents who requires syringe feeding (Debbie has multiple pigs like this at the moment!) and also have 10 of the TEAS permanent residents living here, alongside our own five piggies and ten buns...not forgetting Sebastian the hamster!

If your boys' weight is worrying you as they reach the 1 year mark (i.e. if they seem a bit porky!), then reduce the amount of dry food/nuggets they are having. Hay should make up 80% of their diet, so as long as they are getting veggies with vitamin C in them, they will be fine on a lesser amount of the dry food.

P.S. I'm loving your optimism that piggies aren't expensive to care for! :D

Hi Nick,

We are a charity, established in 2011. I can't claim credit for all the hard work - TEAS is actually based at Debbie's @furryfriends (TEAS) which is where much of the hands-on stuff happens. I am currently taking care of one of the TEAS temporary residents who requires syringe feeding (Debbie has multiple pigs like this at the moment!) and also have 10 of the TEAS permanent residents living here, alongside our own five piggies and ten buns...not forgetting Sebastian the hamster!

If your boys' weight is worrying you as they reach the 1 year mark (i.e. if they seem a bit porky!), then reduce the amount of dry food/nuggets they are having. Hay should make up 80% of their diet, so as long as they are getting veggies with vitamin C in them, they will be fine on a lesser amount of the dry food.
When we first got the boys we literally weighed their daily nugget feed until we were happy with the "handfull" we gave each one per day. We have recently double checked that and they always have plenty of hay as well as their veggies. The funny thing is that they don't look overweight, they are in proportion, but a good size! If their weight remains static I will be quite happy, they just seem to have reached adult size and weight quicker than I expected!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back