Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya! Just would like to know if these weights sound ok to you as I haven't been weighing the piggies as often as I should, so I'll be weighing each piggy every day for a week or two and then go every week or so. I don't have an exact idea of their ages, but they should all be over one.

17th of July
Ginny, boar - below 1000g
Minja, sow - around 1200g
Teddy, sow - around 1200g

18th of July
Ginny, boar - around 900g
Minja, sow - little over 1100g
Teddy, sow - around 1200g

biscandmatt

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

bex's gpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't mean to alarm you but Ginny and Minja appear to have lost 100g each roughly in the space of a day which is quite high. And can indicate the need to take your piggies to the vet
This sticky has more info on weighing your piggies:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ng-ideal-weight-overweight-underweight.38805/
This is true but it also depends when they were weighed. For example they may weigh less in the morning as they haven't had as much food. Mine always weigh a little less in the morning. Always worth getting it checked though! There can be other factors for this :) Hope piggies are all well x

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am concerned about that :( Minja had a problem so I've been laying off the vegetables for her for a few days and I just got a new bag of hay (they've been eating more dusty and small parts until I was able to get a new bag). I'm not going to use that as an excuse though, so I'll be keeping a large eye out for any more drops, which I'll be able to see tomorrow if there are any.

And I haven't had any sleep either, hope you guys do soon :flag:

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just weighed Minja and Ginny, and Minja's gone up a little so she's around 1200g :D Ginny's weight is still pretty much the same though at 900g? I'll weigh them again later on.

Edit; also weighed Teddy and she's the same as before :) And it seems Ginny is starting to protest eating from hay racks.

Last edited:

Chief Guinea Pig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There can always be fluctuations in weight even if there is no problem. An empty/full bladder can be the difference of as much as 25g, if they have been given not quite the best of their hay then that can also affect it, I know my girls are never impressed getting the scratty/tiny bits of hay. Keep an eye on poops, but as there is an increase again I'd put the vet visit on hold. :) -unless anything happens.

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's best to weigh them at the same time every day. I wonder if you should weight them before giving them vegs.

I personally would take mine for a check up if I noticed weight loss.. The last time I noticed a weight loss in a guinea pig he ended up being PTS due to bladder stones... and crap vets misdiagnosing him and trying to make him wait six days for an op to have the removed, so please be careful when it comes to weight loss.

I hope your guinea is ok.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you! I was just told by a family member that the scales are actually broken, so now I'm completely unsure. There'll be some electronic ones coming soon, so I'll use them as soon as I get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.