• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have read alot of things online etc about guinea pigs weight and to weigh them regularly as they can put easily become overweight depending on what diet you are feeding them.
I'd like to know what is a healthy weight for a piggie.
i have weighed Reggie and he currently weighs 550g approx.

Thanks
Stacey x

Last edited:
How old is the lovely Reggie?

My Noodles, who is also a Rex, is 4 and a half and she currently weighs 1500g. She may be a tad on the tubby side, but we are going into winter and she needs her extra warmth...well that's her excuse anyway...

How old is the lovely Reggie?

My Noodles, who is also a Rex, is 4 and a half and she currently weighs 1500g. She may be a tad on the tubby side, but we are going into winter and she needs her extra warmth...well that's her excuse anyway...

Reggie is 18 weeks old. He seems a good weight to me although he has a right little belly on him lol x

At about 18 weeks old, my Pixel weighed 549 g too :)

She is now about 10 months old and is the second largest of my four at 1.117 kg :)

Ooo thats not bad then :)
I will have to weigh him weekly to see how he gets on. x

A good diet consists of:

- daily changed water without additives

- unlimited hay (up to 80% of the food intake!); timothy hay is best for ideal gut movement, but piggies appreciate a change - any good quality hay will do (meadow, orchard etc.).

- 50g/1 cupful/1 handful of mixed veg in as many servings as you like. Ideally, you give 3-5 different veg daily; fruit only every 2-3 days. Make sure that include one veg rich in vitamin C every day.
Here is a link to what veg and fruit they can eat:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42

- topped up good quality pellets until he has got much of his weight and size between 6-9 months old. Then slowly reduced to 1 or 1/2 handful of pellets per day when he is a fully grown adult from 12-15 months onwards.

With a good and varied diet and regular exercise, Reggie should not be in any danger of going overweight at any point of his life.

Individual guinea pig weight varies a lot between about 900-1400g on average, with some piggies staying very small and others being even heavier while completely healthy. That is the reason why there are no fixed weight charts available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back