• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weightloss In Adult Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

batata

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 female pigs living together in a large 2 story ferplast cage (they also get floortime most days). They are fed *unlimited* oxbow western timothy hay, burgess excel nuggets, and about a cupful of veggies a day (each). But for 1 or 2 months I have noticed little fat turkey necks on the girls and their tummies also have gotten a little rounder. They are healthy and happy but should they lose some weight? -and if so, what's ideal weight and how do I get to them to it?

Hi and welcome!

How old are your girls and what are they weighing?

Please weigh all healthy piggies once weekly and ill ones daily, preferably at around the same time. Adult Guinea pigs don't need unlimited pellets, too much and too much treats can lead to overweight. Adult sows develop a pearshaped figure. You can roughly judge whether they are a good weight for their size by feeling their upper body. Ideally, you shopuld be able to just feel the ribs. if you can't, your piggies are overweight. If you can feel every bone clearly, an adult piggy is underweight.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/recommendations-for-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/
[url]https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/the-importance-of-weight-checks-and-overfeeding-guinea-pigs.38805/
[/URL]

Woops, I meant to say they have only unlimited hay, they get only a handful of pellets each night.
The heavier of the 2 weighs 1.324kg and the other 1.028kg. They are both 2 years old.

Th
Woops, I meant to say they have only unlimited hay, they get only a handful of pellets each night.
The heavier of the 2 weighs 1.324kg and the other 1.028kg. They are both 2 years old.

These weights are pretty normal for piggies at the Peak of their life, which they are currently at, so I would not worry. ;)

Some piggies develop a "turkey neck" as they get older and sows develop more of a pear shape. My rule of thumb is that if you can just feel their ribs they are at the right weight, too thin and the ribs are prominent, too fat and you can't feel them at all. As Wiebke says, the weights seem normal so just look for changes in their weight with weekly weigh-ins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back