• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird back twitching motion in guinea pig? Not popcorning

moa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an almost 2 year old guinea pig, and a until a few minutes he was under the hay, probably asleep. Then I heard him whine or something alike so I looked back and saw him harshly twitching his back up every half second while standing in the same spot, for a sequence of maybe 10 seconds? This really concerned me cause I have never seen that behavior. He seems fine now and is eating hay so maybe he was just dreaming?

A few days back, he also whimpered when pooping. I feel like what happened now scared me more though, so I think I will call the vet tomorrow (it is midnight here) but I just wanted to post about this to see if anybody else has experienced this with their own guinea pig.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can’t really picture it but if he whined when pooping then it’s best to have him checked out.
Does he live alone?

Julie M

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
One of my boys did this and it was bladder stones. You're best to pop him to the vets for a check up.