• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird Hiccuping And Croaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So both of my piggies have been doing this weird hiccuping thing- i dont really know if its a hiccup or what- It kind of sounds like they are throwing up but nothing comes out. Is this normal every once and awhile?

Then sonetimes my one piggy will start squeaking but it kind of sounds like he has a soar throat because its all croaky- is this just because he squeaks a lot?

Thanks

I'd have them checked out at a vet for respiratory problems.
Could the bedding you use be dusty at all? Or the hay? x

So both of my piggies have been doing this weird hiccuping thing- i dont really know if its a hiccup or what- It kind of sounds like they are throwing up but nothing comes out. Is this normal every once and awhile?

Then sonetimes my one piggy will start squeaking but it kind of sounds like he has a soar throat because its all croaky- is this just because he squeaks a lot?

Thanks

Do they do it typically after a meal? Then it is due to too greedy eating.
Otherwise, it may be caused from hay dust?
It is anyway what you get when a piggy is busy trying to clear its airways.

I'd have them checked out at a vet for respiratory problems.
Could the bedding you use be dusty at all? Or the hay? x
Do they do it typically after a meal? Then it is due to too greedy eating.
Otherwise, it may be caused from hay dust?
It is anyway what you get when a piggy is busy trying to clear its airways.
It might be because of dust because yesterday when i was dumping some new bedding in there my one piggy did it- the bedding was an off brand of carefresh so it might have been a little dustier. I just got a new big bag of carefresh natural to use. I know that it is dustier than the other types of carefresh but do you think it wouldn't be as dusty as the offbrand? I also have a bag of aspen woodshavings that is labeled "dust free" so I may try to use that too.

Last edited:
It might be because of dust because yesterday when i was dumping some new bedding in there my one piggy did it- the bedding was an off brand of carefresh so it might have been a little dustier. I just got a new big bag of carefresh natural to use. I know that it is dustier than the other types of carefresh but do you think it wouldn't be as dusty as the offbrand? I also have a bag of aspen woodshavings that is labeled "dust free" so I may try to use that too.

I would try the dust free stuff first and see whether it makes a difference. if it is a continued issue, you may want to consider switching to fleece lining for the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back