• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Weird Noise / Is It Normal?

Catherine.947

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I urgently need your help.
My guinea pig (female 7 months old) is making weird noises today.
I would like to know, if anyone has experienced this with their guinea pig and if this is normal.
Do I need to take her to the vet?
AUDIO:
Thanks for your answers in advance,
Yours sincerely Cathrine

Hi and welcome

Sorry, we do not have a video or audio uploading facility as this is far too expensive for our member sponsored forum.
You need to upload elsewhere on a public setting and then paste the link into your post.

If your piggy sounds like a bird, you have come across chirping, which is one of the enduring mysteries as to why it happens. Nobody has yet come up with an answers that feels satifactory. Most piggies never chirp while a few chirp more often, but still very much at random times.
You can find some sound examples via this link: Guinea Pig Sounds

If it is heavy, crackly or raspy breathing or pain, please see a vet.

Hi and welcome

Sorry, we do not have a video or audio uploading facility as this is far too expensive for our member sponsored forum.
You need to upload elsewhere on a public setting and then paste the link into your post.

If your piggy sounds like a bird, you have come across chirping, which is one of the enduring mysteries as to why it happens. Nobody has yet come up with an answers that feels satifactory. Most piggies never chirp while a few chirp more often, but still very much at random times.
You can find some sound examples via this link: Guinea Pig Sounds

If it is heavy, crackly or raspy breathing or pain, please see a vet.

Hello thanks for your fast response.
It does not sound like a bird, it’s more like a grunt or snorting sound and it did not stop since half a hour. This is the link to the AUDIO : www.vocaroo.com/i/s02Y42j8wIaC

Thanks in advance

It is either pain or an obstruction in the airways - the latter are very narrow, so any least bit is instantly audible. If it is minor, it should disappear on its own again within a few hours.

If your guinea pig is still otherwise eating and behaving normally, check again later or tomorrow morning and see a vet promptly if it persists, gets worse or as soon as guinea pig is going off its food and not looking well. Switch from weighing weekly to weighing daily at the same time in the feeding cycle to check the food intake. hay should make up to and over 80% of the daily food intake, but is often the first food group that suffers if a piggy is not well.
Not Eating And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding

i have tried to listen to this audio,but i am unable to hear anything clearly.i can only suggest that if it is clicking noise whilst breathing,, your piggie will need to see a vet promptly incase of a chest infection.

I am able to listen to the audio file, and I recognise the sound a lot. My guinea made this sound one night randomly around 2 years ago and I was panicked quite a lot. The vet didn’t have a clue what it could be so I just observed her for a while and she’s never done it since.

Back