• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Weird Rumble?

LittlePreciousP

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! so, i have 2 guinea pigs (an american and a silkie/long hair? we dont know exactly what she is.) they are both females and around 8 months old. So my american guinea pig, sweet pea will often make this low rumble and walk VERY slowly, not i read this is a dominance behavior in males but shes a female? Is that normal? or is she sick? i do know that when sweet pea does this my long haired guinea pig precious will go for her, like give her a small nip or chase. and they dont fight its strictly when sweet pea does that.

She could possibly be in season. They go into season roughly every two weeks. It should calm down. Or it could just be just dominance.

Its normal. Betsy used to hump everypig around when she was in season - she has calmed down now she's older. I have a video of this behaviour but it is too X rated for a family forum!:yikes:

My two females have done the since I got them at ten weeks old the slow stealth creep and the low rumble. I'm not sure it's a 'season' thing as they do it all the time usually when they are exploring somewhere new or they have been surprised by something. They also do it following each other around so it may be a territorial thing

My two females have done the since I got them at ten weeks old the slow stealth creep and the low rumble. I'm not sure it's a 'season' thing as they do it all the time usually when they are exploring somewhere new or they have been surprised by something. They also do it following each other around so it may be a territorial thing
But it usually ends with a nip from my bigger silkie, precious. My silkie also doesnt really like being near my american, so they avoid each other unless sweet pea tries to go in precious' hidie when shes in there precious will like chase her out, is that a territorial thing because other than that they dont fight at all

But it usually ends with a nip from my bigger silkie, precious. My silkie also doesnt really like being near my american, so they avoid each other unless sweet pea tries to go in precious' hidie when shes in there precious will like chase her out, is that a territorial thing because other than that they dont fight at all
Yes I think it may well be. Strangely though it is the less 'dominant' piggie who rumbles the most/ She is smaller that Toffee but as they grow up she is starting to stand her ground more and while they don't nip each other the odd gentle head butt usually gets their point across.
The reason I think it's territorial is when they set off together like attack guinea pigs in patrol mode they are obviously a team and the rumble is a warning to anything invading their space.... usually ending in a squeak and a run back to cover when they remember they are guinea pigs not tigers

Back