• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • FORUM DONATIONS OPEN The forum relies on your help to continue running, if you would like to help keep the forum running then you can find out about donating here

Weird sounds?

Olizie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
It might be nothing but I’ve never heard him do anything like this. For the past few days one piggy has been making sounds that sound something like when guinea pigs get annoyed or another guinea pig is too close to them or something but without an actual reason to be doing it. It’s hard to explain but it’s similar to the squeals pigs do when another guinea pig annoys them or is too close but it’s also a much lower sound and not high pitched and really loud. Also he does it when no other guinea pigs are around and there’s like no reason he would be getting annoyed. He just does it from time to time for a few minutes. I don’t know what it is . His fur has also been quite puffed up the last few days when he’s sitting around however he’s still like acting normal and eating and drinking and running around. I tried looking on YouTube and the internet but there’s no videos or sounds that sound similar or explanations or anything and I really don’t know what it is. Does anyone know what he’s doing and should I be worried ?
Thank you
:)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
It’s incredibly difficult to comment on sounds, so we cannot easily help here.

Being puffed up can sometimes be a sign of pain. I would switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily so you can more closely monitor his hay intake. It would always be worth having a vet check done though, if he is experiencing any discomfort and it might be an explanation of the sounds and being puffed up, then It’s best to have him seen.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
It might be nothing but I’ve never heard him do anything like this. For the past few days one piggy has been making sounds that sound something like when guinea pigs get annoyed or another guinea pig is too close to them or something but without an actual reason to be doing it. It’s hard to explain but it’s similar to the squeals pigs do when another guinea pig annoys them or is too close but it’s also a much lower sound and not high pitched and really loud. Also he does it when no other guinea pigs are around and there’s like no reason he would be getting annoyed. He just does it from time to time for a few minutes. I don’t know what it is . His fur has also been quite puffed up the last few days when he’s sitting around however he’s still like acting normal and eating and drinking and running around. I tried looking on YouTube and the internet but there’s no videos or sounds that sound similar or explanations or anything and I really don’t know what it is. Does anyone know what he’s doing and should I be worried ?
Thank you
:)
Hi!

In you are worried, please see a vet. Being puffed up usually points to a source of pain inside the body.
Vet Locator

Unfortunately we cannot comment on the sound without hearing/seeing it in context. It could well be a sound of pain.