• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Well fed but still wheeking for more and preferring the open instead of hidey

Guineaboarpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys have been wheeking for most of the day. I gave them some veggies. Then I though here have a bit more. They had their pellets and topped up hay. They still wheek and been climbing the cage side when I am near. They have moved beyond just rustling even a fridge opening causes wheeking. Very perceptive little piggies. They had a piece of tomatoes last night as a treat in their veg they soon devoured that too. Do they really just want more veggies? Do they really love lettuce and cucumber this much.

I’m hoping the edible type house and forage thing arrives later give them something to focus on.

They also don’t sleep in hideys they are always out in what I now call the main area of the cage. This is what is puzzling. I thought they’d want to stay in tunnels and houses for their feeling of safety. But they sleep outside often than not. One house is always turned upside down in no time. I’ve ordered snuggle sacks and stuff made of fleece. See if they like those. But bed of hay on top of fleece seems to be preferred. Is it normal that They don’t seem to get scared at all now

I would say it is normal that they aren't hiding as much, I would assume they are doing this because they feel comfortable in their surroundings and feel safe in the open. My boys will sleep in the open as they are in a safe environment, even though I have plenty of things for them to hide in.

As for always wanting food, one of my pigs was like that. Constantly begging for food. To make him stop wheeking, I would top up his hay/give treats/veg etc. I was really enabling this behavior by doing it! I started feeding my pigs at certain times every day so they knew when they would be fed. It has reduced a lot of the constant wheeking for snacks!

I have a routine to feed but I had a work Skype meeting so didn’t want wheeking in background so kept adding veggies. Topping up hay didn’t seem to work today. I guess they just wanted some attention rather than my laptop lol

I have a routine to feed but I had a work Skype meeting so didn’t want wheeking in background so kept adding veggies. Topping up hay didn’t seem to work today. I guess they just wanted some attention rather than my laptop lol

don’t let that become a habit because it won’t take long for them to learn what to do to get more veggies - before you know it they’ll have fully trained you

Back