• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Went to see family

LunaOreoPigz

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, i recently went down to a coastal town a very far way away from where i live, to see family. I went up the beach for a disranced walk up the cliffs and it was beautiful. I did trip over alot though, but that was predicted as I'm the clumsiest person in existense!
20200706_132623.jpg

Why cant you go but socially distance or something?

Unfortunately for @Swissgreys , Switzerland is about as far from any European sea as you can get!
It's not the pandemic but geography that's the problem for her!

Swissgreys is an expat living in Switzerland and I am a Swiss expat living in the UK... :D

Why cant you go but socially distance or something?
Sorry I didn't really make it clear.
I grew up in Australia, but ended up living in Switzerland where we don't have any coastline.
So the beach is something I sorley miss.
But we do have lovely mountains and good cheese and chocolate so i can't really complain!

Sorry I didn't really make it clear.
I grew up in Australia, but ended up living in Switzerland where we don't have any coastline.
So the beach is something I sorley miss.
But we do have lovely mountains and good cheese and chocolate so i can't really complain!

Now there is a list of things I am missing...

There are lots of very tasty British cheeses, won't they do instead? And the lakes and mountains of the Lake District and Snowdonia are beautiful, though admittedly they don't quite have the Wow factor of the Alps. :cool:

Oh, the UK is a wonderful country and I love it, even with my hub's health limitations; don't get me wrong!

But there is a crucial difference between the food I love in this country in which I have now spent several decades and the foods and places that carry the extra emotional connection and memories of my childhood. It's not a matter of quality and it is something that everybody who has ever lived abroad will experience.

Not being able to visit my family this year is making this yearning a lot stronger - especially in view of my mum pulling a major health scare during lockdown and celebrating a landmark birthday this week without me (even if it was very low key in view of her health and the pandemic). You can't help feeling torn between vulnerable people that need shielding in either country and the very practical problems with having to self-isolate at either end in order to protect them, not to mention the increased risk I carry myself.

Hello, i recently went down to a coastal town a very far way away from where i live, to see family. I went up the beach for a disranced walk up the cliffs and it was beautiful. I did trip over alot though, but that was predicted as I'm the clumsiest person in existense!
View attachment 147796
What a lovely photo! Glad you caught up with your family x

Oh, the UK is a wonderful country and I love it, even with my hub's health limitations; don't get me wrong!

But there is a crucial difference between the food I love in this country in which I have now spent a fair number of years and the foods and places that carry the extra emotional connection and memories of my childhood. It's not a matter of quality and it is something that everybody who has ever lived abroad will experience.

Not being able to visit my family this year is making this yearning a lot stronger - especially in view of my mum pulling a major health scare during lockdown and celebrating a landmark birthday this week without me (even if it was very low key in view of her health and the pandemic). You can't help feeling torn between vulnerable people that need shielding in either country and the very practical problems with having to self-isolate at either end in order to protect them, not to mention the increased risk I carry myself.
This is so true @Wiebke . There are just food back home that I will always miss after living in the UK for 9 years. Yes I can cook Filipino dishes, but whenever we go back to the Philippines for a visit, I really get excited eating food there again. It's just not the same, especially sharing it with family and friends. Although I wish there is a Toby Carvery franchise in the Philippines coz nothing beats the UK roast for me. 😁

But there is a crucial difference between the food I love in this country in which I have now spent a fair number of years and the foods and places that carry the extra emotional connection and memories of my childhood. It's not a matter of quality and it is something that everybody who has ever lived abroad will experience.

Sorry that lockdown is making life harder for you @Wiebke
Holding you in my thoughts

I'm thinking the white cliffs would put it somewhere near Dover, but I don't know the area so couldn't say exactly where. It's lovely though.

Back