• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

werried about my new guinea pigs diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hannah_lg

I got 2 new giinea pigs wh oare 10 weeks old from a gardan center last saturday

i have gave them apple pear craly cummeber tomatos corrats cabbge bracclia

but there only ones there eat are carrots and cabbge
there do eat they stuff in there dish dont know what sort it is is was the garden centres only brand stuff its all sticky and smells like sick there be trying getty guinea pig food soon when that stuff is all done as that is what my other 2 eat

should i be warried that there only eat carrots and cabbge in there veggies is there anything i should try them on there may like or any ideas of geting them to eat other stuff

i did cut it up in to little pices

Carrots are full of sugar so they shouldn't have too many. Try feeding them lettuce (not iceberg) I think most piggies love lettuce.

What does the guinea pig food look like? The best dry food is pellets - does the food your using have coloured bits and/or seeds? The coloured bits are bad and the seeds can be a choking hazard.. what are you feeding them? can you get a photo of it?

i cant got a photo of it sorry

i only give them little carrts and takes them like all day to eat them
there guina pig food what i got them the place i got them there love it its just all sticky and smells like sick really it dosent have any coured stuff in it like the gerty ginea pig stuff (in the blue bag)

my other 2 who are 1 eat apple pear craly cummeber tomatos corrats cabbge bracclia

I've got all my piggies on to Wagg optimum pellets from Asda (the more expensive one, they other is museli type) and they all love it!

Jane said:
Carrots are full of sugar so they shouldn't have too many. Try feeding them lettuce (not iceberg) I think most piggies love lettuce.

dont agree - while almost every piggy loves lettuce, they have next to NO nutritional value, so I would rather feed them carrot. I mean lettuce wont do them any harm - but no good either.

Abnoba said:
Jane said:

dont agree - while almost every piggy loves lettuce, they have next to NO nutritional value, so I would rather feed them carrot. I mean lettuce wont do them any harm - but no good either.

I was told that research is suggesting carrot could be responsible for bladder stones that piggies are prone to - has anyone else heard of this? Since hearing that I tend to concentrate on the green veg, cucumber, celery, etc with carrots 2-3 times a week and fruit like melon 2-3 times a week.

never heard of that, might be worth looking into thoug..

but my point was, I would rather feed something that is healthy and MIGHT have a sideffect, rather than something that is both harmless AND useless.

Dont get me wrong - my piggies love lettuce! But there is just nothing in it... so I only give it as a treat, I want them to fill their tummies with things that are actually giving them something when it comes to minerals, vitamins, etc.

kayjay said:
I've got all my piggies on to Wagg optimum pellets from Asda (the more expensive one, they other is museli type) and they all love it!

Mine love the Optimum pellets too, i'm constantly refilling the bowls!

well i have to get some yet to see if there like it anyways

i gave them some watercress today there loved it is this ok ot shell i get the stuff in the little pots next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back