• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wet, deformed poop and gut sounds (1 week post surgery)

JamesM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
20200725_141202.jpg

Marble, our chonkiest pig (picture pre-issues)

One of our pigs, Marble had surgery for a mouth abscess on Friday August 7th.

It went fine. We've been giving her two 1ml doses of Sulfa antibiotic a day (prescribed) and one 1ml of metacam.

At the start we also gave critical care but as she was going back to eating her hay, veggies and drinking water we stopped.

Anyway today I found masses of wet, deformed poop under her house. It wasn't total liquid but it was smeared about into smush. When i brought her out, her gut was making weird gurgling and popping sounds i could hear from a distance.

She was acting normal but this is freaking me out. I'm going to be booking her post-surgery check in tomorrow, but the vet is closed today.

Question: Does this sound like immediate danger? Should i consider going to a non-exotic emerg? Our vet is closed Sunday.

Thanks,
-James

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hearing gut sounds is what you want - if the gut is silent, then there is an emergency situation.

Stop all veg and grass until poops normalise. 24 hours after it has normalised, you can slowly add veg back in, starting with one herb (their gentler on the tummy) . Keep her only on hay and the normal limited amount of pellets (one tablespoon per day), weigh her daily to ensure she is eating enough hay. Do check in with the vet tomorrow

Do read the guide below
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

JamesM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
On the gut sounds - these are very different than normal, much louder and more "pops". I could feel the vibrations with my hand on her. It sounded and felt like when I, as a human, have an upset stomach.

I'll tell Kathleen no veggies tonight but we haven't changed her diet or anything. It's the proximity to the surgery that had me concerned. Also there's been some fly activity in their area and we worry about flystrike.

Roselina

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ah I’m sorry it’s such a worry ! The above advice is soundproof and poops are always two days behind - flies are evil so do keep a very watchful eye on your piggle. Hopefully as she is eating .....and if her diet is restricted then hopefully things will settle down ! Take care 🥰

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That shows a gut disturbance. Keeping her on hay only (no veg) will allow the guts to settle. Weighing daily to check she is eating enough, and stepping in with critical care or mushed pellets If she isn’t
You could also give probiotics, or better still, if she has a healthy companion, then poop soup. They will help settle the guts and, in the case of poop soup, replace the good bacteria which is being lost through her being on antibiotics

The guide below details probiotics and poop soup
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links