• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Wet Underneath Fur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our long haired piggy has been literally sitting where she pees so a lot of the time picking her up she is soggy underneath. she hates haircuts so we struggle to cut around her rear. any tips? x

I find my boys put up with all sorts of stuff like nail clipping & butt cuts if they are munching on a stalk of parsley while I'm doing the dirty deed.

I had a long haired piggy who hated having anything done to her, I found whistling quite loud (not too loud!) made her stop in her tracks cause she was like 'what was that!?!' And I could quickly snip away. Every time she fidgeted I just whistled again! XD

I'm going to have to try this :P Its difficult to see which bits need cutting off as well because although her body is predominantly white, some of her underneath is a slightly off-white/caramel colour

I'm going to have to try this :P Its difficult to see which bits need cutting off as well because although her body is predominantly white, some of her underneath is a slightly off-white/caramel colour
Its funny but all 4 of my boys have dark nails except Hazelnut has one white paw. And whose nails have I made bleed twice now? Hazelnut's white paw natch. One of my boys is a long hair sheltie so there is the haircutting to cope with as well. Recently I discovered a mobile pet groomer who also does piggies. She will come to my house once a month and cut Donny's hair & clip all 4 boys' nails for $60 (about 30 pounds). She is coming this arvo for the first session so I am really hoping this will work out.

How do you manage with dark nails? I'm terrified cutting wigwigs so i dont ever take too much off at once. Plus because shes a rescue pig and wasnt kept well by her previous owner, her little front nails go the wrong way.
Oo I may have to look into that around here :) That way jelly would get a neat haircut rather than my messy attempt :P

Cutting off a little at a time is a good idea but it means frequent cutting and I really didn't want to do it more often than once a month. I used to take a guess at the length to cut using the one white nail where I could see the quick. I also use human clippers as they gave me more control, I was always worried I would end up cutting off a whole toe with wide opening cutters. I would leave the one white nail last, which is why I think it was the one ended up bleeding. By then Hazelnut would have had enough of me fiddling with that toe to check length & just jerked his foot at the last moment.

One of Hazelnut's toenails started curling under as well trapping all sorts of debris underneath it that used to get hard. I just wasn't brave enough to tackle that and had the vet do it!

I've heard of members here shining a torch underneath dark nails to get an idea of where the quick is.

have a read of this sticky https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-cutting-guinea-pig-nails.61/ Maybe it will help.

I will be happy to chicken out of hair & nails cutting if this mobile groomer works out. She will be here in half an hour. Not sure if you'd have something like that over there. Because of our weather we have heaps of mobile services over here - mobile mechanics, mobile dog washes, etc. However, some of our piggy rescues also do hair & nail cutting for a small fee. Perhaps you have some near you that also do this. although it does mean travelling to them.

Well @Wigpigs this mobile groomer was brilliant! She cut all 4 boy's nails & Donny's hair in 30 minutes! It would have taken me all day and a heap of parsley. So, I will be chickening out of all this malarkey and getting her to do it once a month. Have already booked her in 4 weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back