What A Crazy 48 Hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandBells

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So having joined the forum and posted on Sunday evening about how happy we were to have Wallis & Boris home, things went a bit crazy in the form of an extreme allergic reaction :no:
I sat close to their cage most of Monday just watching their funny ways and even got Boris to take some lettuce from my hand! In the evening (about 6ish) I thought I'd give the cage floor a bit of a tidy up, fresh hay etc. By 8 I started to feel rough and like I'd been sunburnt - my skin felt really hot and 'tight'. Having never had an allergic reaction to anything before I didn't think anything of it really and just had an early night :mal:
Was woken up at 3am by a dreadful rash all over my body, literally everywhere. So hot and so itchy! I took a couple of anti-histamines and napped on and off for the rest of the night. Went to the doctor first thing yesterday morning who diagnosed an extreme allergic reaction (well, duh!) and prescribed a strong anti-histamine and a course of steroids! Neither did very much yesterday but I'm feeling heaps better today and although my skin is far from normal, it's far better and less angry than it was - hooray!
Anyway, to the point, there is no way on earth I'm even considering getting rid of the piggies - my daughter and I are completely besotted with them and Wallis appears to have started responding to her voice already :love:
My question is this; has anyone experienced anything similar, and if so, what would you suggest? I've moved their cage to the other side of the room to where it was (right next to our seating area) and I'm investigating allergen free hay in case it's that I'm allergic to. I currently use newspaper and shavings on the floor of the cage but the more I read, the more I'm considering fleece. The Dr mentioned my allergy could be urine particles in the air, in which case I'm guessing the fleece would help by drawing the urine away from the surface? When I tidy the cage and do complete cleans I'll make sure my skin is protected etc but if anyone has any other tips I'd happily accept them!
Thanks for reading my long post :zzz:

Kerrie74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have rhinitis, and I'm on a antihistamine when needed and nasal spray.

Is it them or their hay your allergic to and is it when you touch them or when your near them as well?

Sorry about the questions... some people have suggested if you have allergies when touching, wear long sleeves and gloves etc.

I'm actually going to buy an air purifier at some point. I do get a bit of a breakout when I hold them but it depends if they smell of hay in my case.

Not sure if anyone else has any ideas, but I'm sure someone will post soon :)

HandBells

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your response. I'm not certain at this stage what exactly I'm allergic to, I think it's just when I've touched the soiled bedding with bare hands :mal:

Not had a massive amount of contact with them in terms of lap time yet but did have a cuddle when I picked them up and when I got them home and didn't seem to react then.

Thanks for mentioning the air purifier, I'd not considered that.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
i am very allergic to dogs.. just being in a room they have been in sets me off or being near someone who has 'dog' on them.. I was worried i might be allergic to the piggies but thank goodness i am fine with them.. I do however seem to be a little bit allergic to the hay ! Well i do suffer with hay fever...... I alway wash my hands straight after feeding them and that seems to help otherwise i am really itchy... Try using disposable gloves to see if that helps at all... x

Status
Not open for further replies.