• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

What a week it's been!

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Sorry for lack of updates, but we've had a crazily busy week at TEAS!

Martin, who is one of our dental piggies had started to look unwell the week before and had blood in his urine and rather exaggerated breathing, suggesting pain. He was put on antibiotics and a blood sample was sent to the lab. The blood results didn't really reveal anything of huge concern, other than a few elevated levels that may have suggested his body was fighting an infection. We put it down to the UTI he clearly had and continued with the antibiotic and Metacam.

I arrived home on Thursday evening to find Martin and Saga's cage looking like a massacre had taken place. Bright red blood was everywhere and Martin was looking very unwell. I rushed him to vets, where he was given sub cut fluids and he was booked in for x ray the next day. The x ray revealed a stone that looked to be in a very challenging position. It wasn't in the bladder, but in the ureter (the tube that leads from the kidney to the bladder). This tube is tiny, about 1mm in diameter and the stone was wedged, blocking anything coming past it. Simon tried to milk the stone into the bladder, but it wouldn't budge. Martin couldn't live with this stone in place, as it was making him very poorly, but to try and open the ureter, remove stone and suture was incredibly challenging. Simon decided to give it a go!

Today, Martin went for his post op check and Simon is really pleased with his progress. His weight is starting to increase and he's no longer looking fluffed up and in pain. He was given some more sub cut fluids as he still looks a little dehydrated, but considering the surgery he's gone through, he's making an amazing recovery!

We are so lucky to have such an amazing vet!

Lots of healing vibes for Martin! This forum famous Simon really seems to be a miracle worker!

Simon's amazing! A very skilful and talented man and really lovely and caring too!
The first time i ever went to see simon and kim i knew i had found the right vets. I used to view your post years ago when i never had an account and wiebkes syringe feed guides are what gave my sick pigs 2 or 3 more years of life. Sending best wishes to martin

How does the stone even enter the tube? Is there quite some force when peeing? My old boar had 3 stones at once, none of which were operable 😔

Sending lots of recovery vibes x

How does the stone even enter the tube? Is there quite some force when peeing? My old boar had 3 stones at once, none of which were operable 😔
I am guessing it must get larger, as it travels from the kidney down towards the bladder. It wasn't going any further, that's for sure!

Ouch! That looks naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!
He was in so much pain and the amount of blood he was passing, was just awful! He's made such remarkable progress! I paced the floor all day last Thursday, waiting for news from vets. I really thought we'd lose him!

He was in so much pain and the amount of blood he was passing, was just awful! He's made such remarkable progress! I paced the floor all day last Thursday, waiting for news from vets. I really thought we'd lose him!
Must be a tough little guy. Is he going to.be rehomed when fit?

Stones are so horrible, my poor lad's had two now. One was stuck in his urethra and he couldn't urinate at all, thought I'd lose him but we gave the surgery a go and he did really well. Had a couple of UTIs afterwards and then had another stone but thankfully Simon said was tiny and should pass it with no problems.
Hope Martin feels better soon, how nasty for him, massively painful I'm sure x

Oh my goodness, poor little chap. Great to hear he's doing well, he's clearly a real fighter. X

Lets hope one day there is a breakthrough on how to stop these stones. There has to be a way

Back