• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have treated all my piggies for lice everal times with beaphar spot on with ivermectin, one piggie has even been treated at the vets for lice and still they are scratching!

Should I be using something stronger? like zeno and is this available without perscription?

thanks

Was it def lice and not mange? Bu you did say you were using ivermectin but ive never used beaphar spot on so I dont know how effective it is.

Maybe their just feeling a bit itchy - give them a bath possibly?

www.gorgeousguineas.com do lovely stuff and also do some coco melts and neem oil shampoo to help those piggies that may have parasites. I brought some and I'm bathing mine at the weekend :)

Xeno 450 is available by the way without prescription :) You can get it from vetuk and other places

I used two doses of the Beaphor stuff, then two doses of oral ivermectic, and mine were still itching too! I used another dose of Beaphor stuff and it's only just decreased. There was the correct time scale between each dose BTW! Oscar was at the vet about another problem, on Tuesday and the vet said he definitely didn't have lice, his coat was beautiful. So maybe they are just itchy! I'm sure one sets another off! Like yawns! A bath may be the answer!

What sort of condition are their coats and skin in? Are they just scratching or are they loosing fur and have flaky/sore skin? If they are shiny and have healthy skin it's unlikely to be a parasite.

A bath with the gorgeous guineas shampoo won't do any harm either way.

One possibility is that they are getting reinfected from their surroundings, bedding or hay. It's certainly worth washing everything and even considering changing the hay you are using.

Paula

What sort of condition are their coats and skin in? Are they just scratching or are they loosing fur and have flaky/sore skin? If they are shiny and have healthy skin it's unlikely to be a parasite.

A bath with the gorgeous guineas shampoo won't do any harm either way.

One possibility is that they are getting reinfected from their surroundings, bedding or hay. It's certainly worth washing everything and even considering changing the hay you are using.

Paula

Hi,

The boar I rescued had balding patches in his fur and the vet treated with ivermectin.

I treated my other boar and my two sows with beaphar spot on, correct time in between doses etc.

all thier coats are glossy, no baldness in great condition in fact. I am thinking now they may have an allergy to the fleece as it is washed in liquid(non bio though)

I will try a bath with the gorgeous guineas lice and easy see if that helps:))

Sounds like your boar had a problem when you got him that was successfully treated and they are now just itchy piggies :)

Paula

If you look at the active ingredient strength on the Beaphar stuff it is nowhere near as strong as the Xeno - hence difference in price.

If you are sure it's mites, then Xeno 450 (for adult piggies) would be more effective.

If you're not sure it's mites then you need to get a proper diagnosis before trying any more treatment as things can get worse very quickly.

Sophie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back